my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Olight M23 Javelot vs Klarus XT11S

I would appreciate GS members hands own review of the above or opinions from those that have similar.
    I have not bought yet )) I do not need confirmation of what I already have)) I will be buying soon and user experience will be good.

ease of operation
    ease of carry
    quality and finish
    durability
    Klarus is not a brand I have much experience with.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Default Re: Olight M23 Javelot vs Klarus XT11S

I've got the Klarus XT11S. This is my second Klarus, the other is the older model XT11. The S model is a big jump up from the previous gen. It's USB charging has worked perfectly for me - I like not having to strip the torch to get to the battery. Size is marginally smaller too. Durability - I haven't managed to break either of them yet. The XT11 gets used for catching crabs at night on rocky shores too when we're fishing (survived multiple falls). Both have had some swims too.

The one thing I could do without on the XT11S is the thumb switch up front near the lens. I've found that if I used the forward switch to activate/change modes, it sometimes wouldn't respond to me trying to turn it off with a tail cap. So I stay away from the forward switch - it might be a design software/issue or an user issue. The two switches on the tail cap haven't given me any grief and I've not had the torch activate/deactivate when I've not wanted it too. The momentary-on on the tail works fine for me, as well as the strobe, which I've had to use twice to give me space. I just prefer tail cap switches. The S model allows you to stand it upright (not particularly well - but never the less).

Both Klarus' came with the steel rings for imprinting softer objects, and they will eat your pants. For EDC I'd consider not keeping them in a pocket or removing the rings. The pouches have worn fine, and I've not managed to ruin either of them.

Between the two models you're considering the major difference would probably be the charging/recharging system. The USB works fine, but I can see that that could become a weak point - try inserting a MicroUSB male into that little hole without your glasses on. I like the convenience of that though and not having to unscrew the tail cap - as 93% of the time I insert the damn battery wrong way round. While it may eventually break, the USB can be ignored completely and the regular recharge methods are available.

I bought the two handheld torches as they were what I could get for a very reasonable price (less than normal retail), and I've been very happy with them.

Olight's quality impressed me too - I have the baby S1 Baton and a PL-MINI. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase their product either.

Thank you for the information dux. How does it stand up to wear and scuffs?

User

To be fair, I've only had the 11S about a year, while the 11 has had a rougher life. Some paint lost at the tail cap of the 11, and a bit of knurling has taken strain. The original lanyard string (thin like on the 11S next to it) broke, and I pulled in a ring and a stringie thing that I had handy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ever decide to sell the older one, let me know.

User

Sorry to say - I don't see it happening. It lives in my kitchen drawer as a backup. I am very happy with both still. A (bastard) friend of mine mentioned something about an Olight S1R Baton II appearing in his news feed. It looks like I might be upgrading my pocket EDC'er too.

;)

Hi KK20

I have had an Olight M23 Javelot Extended Range torch for about 3 weeks now. Unfortunately I do not have the Klaurus to compare it to. I also cannot comment on durability nor battery life.

The specs say 1020 lumens , 47500 candela & a throw of 436m as you know. All I can test is the throw.

So far I doubt that the claimed 436m throw is achievable, but I may be wrong as I have only managed to test it it in a dry river bed which although darker than the surrounding sports fields and suburbs, is still affected by the ambient light from street lights etc to some extent. In these conditions I have measured (with a laser ) a throw of 220m. Obviously perceived throw will also be affected by eyesight and mine is deteriorating year by year - better eyes may give different results.

I would like to test it at our shooting range which is out in the bush, 20km from the nearest house, street light etc and see how it goes using various size and colour objects with different refelctive properties at various ranges.

Once I have, I will post the results here and on the 'Lets talk torches thread'

Thank you.

I am looking at member input and personal experience with the product.
    How easy for you to manipulate , why you like /dislike it . What you wish was included or wish was not there etc
    I have seen other reviews of products were the manufacturers advert is merely copied.

both these models are really head to head and I cannot decide yet.
    Last edited by KK20; 01-10-2018 at 14:24.