Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Advanced driving course

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Haven't driven the new F80 but the purist in me shouts blasphemy at the FI, the Car Enthusiast in me shouts "this is gonna be good".
    Coming from the V8 on the previous gen car, I can tell you that the new one is completely different. At first, till you get used to the way the car delivers its power, you’ll be disappointed with the turbo lag. The old V8 wasn’t torque’y either at the bottom end, only really coming alive above 5k rpm, but it least it was pretty linear. With the new one, you have to keep the boost up else it’s just too unpredictable. Nothing, nothing, nothing, then holy fark. It can catch you unaware when putting its tail out, so quite frankly I’m a little scared of it at the moment. It has a LOT more power up here at altitude than the old one.

Granted, I haven’t been on the track with the new one, but I have gotten a little more used to the way it delivers power now. I’m hoping to control it a little better, with the help of the training course.

In a perfect world, however, I’d have the old motor but with a supercharger. Drove one with an ESS625 charger on and that was just, sublime. Same delivery characteristics, just more of it. Anyway, I’ll reserve judgment on the new one till I see what it really does in experienced hands.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gbyleveldt View Post
    Coming from the V8 on the previous gen car, I can tell you that the new one is completely different. At first, till you get used to the way the car delivers its power, you’ll be disappointed with the turbo lag. The old V8 wasn’t torque’y either at the bottom end, only really coming alive above 5k rpm, but it least it was pretty linear. With the new one, you have to keep the boost up else it’s just too unpredictable. Nothing, nothing, nothing, then holy fark. It can catch you unaware when putting its tail out, so quite frankly I’m a little scared of it at the moment. It has a LOT more power up here at altitude than the old one.

Granted, I haven’t been on the track with the new one, but I have gotten a little more used to the way it delivers power now. I’m hoping to control it a little better, with the help of the training course.

In a perfect world, however, I’d have the old motor but with a supercharger. Drove one with an ESS625 charger on and that was just, sublime. Same delivery characteristics, just more of it. Anyway, I’ll reserve judgment on the new one till I see what it really does in experienced hands.
    Its not so much the turbo that gets my traditionalist snobiness going. It's the non linear power delivery as you mentioned. M3's and M5's traditionally have high revving engines with a smooth torque delivery. I do get why they have gone with FI. The ever tightening emissions regs and all that makes it hard to build a powerful N/A engine. I'll reserve judgement though until I drive one. Change isn't always bad! One thing I do like is are the lines of the car, just a pity all cars are getting so big.

My dream M3 would be an E46 M3 CSL. It is one of the best "fun" cars I've ever driven and to me it is the modern embodiment of the original M Cars from the 70's.

I wouldn't say no to a to an E46 M3 with a S85 V10... Best sounding BMW engine ever!

User

Heh, E46 M3 is my Eleanor car. Silver specifically. Superstitious I know, but having bent two I’ve just decided to let that dream remain that way.

I had a lead a year ago on an unloved CSL that ended up being used as a daily, with all the nicks and dings that go with that. No65 if memory serves. Ended up with a blown SMG pump. Still, even in that sorry state, I just couldn’t justify the asking price the dude wanted. It would’ve cost me over R200k just to get the car perfect again (although that excluded sorting out the worn alcantara interior) and by that time I’d grown weary of ‘project’ cars. In hindsight I should’ve grabbed it still, but oh well.

And no, please don’t get me started on S85’s. Lovely lovely F1 engine tone. I just couldn’t get over the Bangle styling of the M5/6. The looks are an acquired taste. Interestingly, I helped with converting a white M5 to manual, using the 6 speed S65 box. As you may know, the Euro cars never came out that way, only the US ones. So I used the US ecu map as a base for the ECU, and manually coded all the bits to make it compatible for a Euro car. Finished off by removing all the emissions rubbish from the map that was present in the US software in order to make the result completely error free.

Anyway, I never got even close to professional racing. I’m a little jealous of guys like you that have had that experience but oh well, maybe one day when I’m a geriatric I’d get that off my bucket list :)

Wow, sorry guys, we’ve derailed this thread completely. Please let regular programming continue!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gbyleveldt View Post
    I’m doing the advanced bmw course at zwartkops on the 8th of March. Pretty excited.
    How was it? I am about to book for the 20th...

User

Awesome, although there was too much rain so had the track session moved to tomorrow. Spent the rest of the day on the skid pan, which was lots of fun. What helped was we were only 5 guys; it would’ve sucked if there were more as you’d have to share cars the whole time.

That being said, if it was booked to capacity it wouldn’t be worth the expense as you won’t have enough wheel time to get enough value out of it.

User

I did the Merc AMG course and was probably the most fun I had. I also learned a lot about everyday driving and also spirited driving.

The fun really started when they flip a little switch that disconnects all and I mean ALL safety systems. RWD V8 with no safety stuff to intervene on a skid pan = a lot of fun and drifting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3