Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Glatt

Default 9mm Glatt

Hi guys.
    I've today seen a 5 round German revolver (circa 1930) which is marked Kal 9mm Glatt.
    There is no way that a 9mm round (short or luger) will fit into it.
    Any ideas as to what (if any) ammunition will fit ?
    Thanks and regards.
    Keith.

User

Default Re: 9mm Glatt

Did a bit of googling and I think it is chambered for 9mm flobert. A german rimfire round. Found th following extract on a US ammo selling site. And apparently Fiocchi still produces is. Not sure about availability in SA though. Someone with more info will surely chip in soon:
    9mm FLOBERT Ammo

9mm Flobert ammo might be one of the oddest rounds ever conceived but is also an accessible round that just about anyone can handle. 9mm Flobert is a rimfire cartridge, designed for firing shot. Essentially the 9mm Flobert is a rimfire shotgun cartridge that is extremely small. The 9mm Flobert is designed to fire a very light and very easy to control shotshell. The 9mm Flobert is designed to be capable of being used by anyone.

The 9mm Flobert falls into a niche firearms market known as garden guns. They are designed to chase vermin away from gardens by everyone from grown men to elderly women. Garden guns in 9mm rimfire also face very little to no restriction in European countries, even those with strict gun laws.

9mm Flobert is such a short range round the cartridge could do very little harm past 15 to 20 yards and are quite quiet when discharged when compared to a traditional shotgun. The 9mm Flobert is unique and capable of ridding gardens and yards of vermin, pests, and snakes. The 9mm flobert cartridge is handy since it leaves little to no damage to the yard due to small amount of shotgun contained within it. The Flobert round is still quite available and inexpensive,

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

User

And not sure, but I think Glatt may indicate that the barrel is unrifled. Like a shotgun. Which makes sense since the 9mm Flobert is a small shot shell.

User

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...hell-box-of-50

User

Do you have any pics if the gun? Would be very interested to have a look at it

Thanks MANNY82.
    I also tried the 'google route' but could only find the 9mm Flobert rounds for long rifle and shotgun 'garden guns'.
    I am not certain that these would fit into the revolver which I think (?) is called a 'parlour gun'; as they seem to be too long for the cylinder as the Fiocchi advert says that they are '1 3/4 ins 1/4 oz # 8 shot'.
    I am going to get in touch with Fiocchi and ask them if these are suitable for pistols.
    I am certain that you are correct about the barrel as Li, my wife is Austrian and she has just told me that glatt in German means smooth.
    I will get to see the pistol again next week and will check the barrel for rifling and take pictures.

Thanks again and regards.
    Keith.

User

"Glatt" does indeed mean "smooth", referring to a smooth bore.

Outside Germany the rimfire cartridge is mostly referred to as a "Flobert".

I have seen some S&B ammo for the 6mm Flobert, not sure if they make the 9.

Not many of those guns in SA, and especially not many handguns. Unlike in Europe, they are treated the same as normal fire arms here.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbatkins View Post
    Thanks MANNY82.
    I also tried the 'google route' but could only find the 9mm Flobert rounds for long rifle and shotgun 'garden guns'.
    I am not certain that these would fit into the revolver which I think (?) is called a 'parlour gun'; as they seem to be too long for the cylinder as the Fiocchi advert says that they are '1 3/4 ins 1/4 oz # 8 shot'.
    I am going to get in touch with Fiocchi and ask them if these are suitable for pistols.
    I am certain that you are correct about the barrel as Li, my wife is Austrian and she has just told me that glatt in German means smooth.
    I will get to see the pistol again next week and will check the barrel for rifling and take pictures.

Thanks again and regards.
    Keith.
    Hi MANNY82
    Still waiting for Fiocchi to get back to me.
    I saw the revolver again this morning and it does have a smooth barrel.
    The owner [unfortunately] was not 'happy' about my taking pictures of it though...sorry
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

There is a guy in Postmansburg that collects Flobert actioned rifles, which have an altogether different operating mechanism to a revolver but use the same rimfire ammo. His name is Daan & he might have some ideas about ammo. Not sure if he is on this forum but I will PM you his details.

Found a couple of rounds in my collection (coke bottle lid for scale):

https://imgur.com/RnPOYCM

https://imgur.com/z9Bwrd0

Edit: Put in links because I couldn't get the actual picture to show up in my post.

User

Quote Originally Posted by keithbatkins View Post
    Hi MANNY82
    Still waiting for Fiocchi to get back to me.
    I saw the revolver again this morning and it does have a smooth barrel.
    The owner [unfortunately] was not 'happy' about my taking pictures of it though...sorry
    Regards.
    Keith.
    Cool, when you fo get it or can get a pic, pls post it. Very curious

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast