Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default 9mm Carbine or .223 Tactical

Hi
    Due to the increase in farm attacks in the western cape i intend to purchase a semi auto 9mm carbine or the .223 tactical rifle.

It is important for me to have folding stock and must not be too big and cumbersome.

Two intruders were shot this week with 9mm from a pistol and still managed a get away.

Please i need urgent assistance to decide on the 9mm carbine or the ar or similar tactical system in .223.

We have very dense bush and i need something that has more distance than my 12g shotgun.

I have been out of touch with the latest firearms and therefore need strong guidance.

Thank you
    Paul

User

Default Re: 9mm Carbine or .223 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by ZR1PJA View Post
    Hi
    Due to the increase in farm attacks in the western cape i intend to purchase a semi auto 9mm carbine or the .223 tactical rifle.

It is important for me to have folding stock and must not be too big and cumbersome.

Two intruders were shot this week with 9mm from a pistol and still managed a get away.

Please i need urgent assistance to decide on the 9mm carbine or the ar or similar tactical system in .223.

We have very dense bush and i need something that has more distance than my 12g shotgun.

I have been out of touch with the latest firearms and therefore need strong guidance.

Thank you
    Paul
    Paul, I would go 5.56 in an AR-15 platform. Reliable (the design anyway), as compact as you want it with plenty punch.
    I've seen some lovely Colt 11" (5.56) carbines around, with a decent Red Dot Sight (Aimpoint Micro series) and a decent Weapon Mounted Light (WML), you'll be more than GTG.

User

User

Will you be licensing under sec 14? License to possess a restricted firearm for self defense As your purpose is for personal defense?

User

Quote Originally Posted by ZR1PJA View Post
    Hi
    I doubt that 9mm will do the trick in this case.

Question to those that know: How effective is the .223 calibre going to be in dense bush? Would .300 BLK not be a better consideration?

Then again, there are the legal & safety implications of shooting into bush & being uncertain of the target.

If you have to have a folding stock, then perhaps consider importing a Law Tactical folding stock adaptor, but then remember that you will be required to unfold / deploy the stock in order to use the weapon (If using AR platform).

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

How 'bout one of these?

https://worldoftroy.com/product/troy-socc-cqb/

Available ex stock.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

For Dense bush, wouldn't a .308 be a better choice? More energy to mow through the stuff and still retain enough velocity to do it's job?

User

Are you planning on chasing people down in dense bush or do you spend a lot of time in dense bush where you could get attacked?

User

wouldnt 7.62x39 be a better choice with regards to bush? like one of the bulgy sbr's or vz 58s?

just asking

User

Thanks for the valuable input.

The next step is the licencing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast