Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SMLE Bayonet what's it worth?

I have an SMLE bayonet. Various proof/acceptance markings and dated 1907 but no maker's name. Has a well used look, lot of finish worn off if there was any to start with. But complete and intact, no dings or damage. Same for wood grips - minor dings, scratches and marks of use but basically intact. Same for scabbard - by no means pristine but intact and not damaged. Never learned how to post pics on gunsite, but can e mail. Any idea what it could be worth ? I'm not particularly looking to sell it - would depend on value. To put it another way, I'll keep it if I can only get peanuts for it.

Default Re: SMLE Bayonet what's it worth?

Less than R1k. They're hardly scarce. By the sound of condition, probably R500 or so.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Go to the Classic Arms site, and download the prices realised from the last auction.

Has to be a maker on it. Even if just MA (Aussie) or EFD etc.
    For common makes, you are looking about R800 for the bayonet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSheerGuns View Post
    Has to be a maker on it. Even if just MA (Aussie) or EFD etc.
    For common makes, you are looking about R800 for the bayonet.
    Inclusive of Wilkinson Sword?

Wilkinson, Sanderson, MA the most common and least valuable. Chapman..more so, Mole very desirable.

User

How about Vickers, Ishapore, Remington, O.A., A.E.Co., S.A.R. & "The Smiling Tiger" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Terrylee View Post
    How about Vickers, Ishapore, Remington, O.A., A.E.Co., S.A.R. & "The Smiling Tiger" ??
    Terry, I have a 1907 pattern Ishapore. Its worth more than the usual then?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Wanderin' Zero, you raise an interesting point. Fairly recently, two South African collectors with a particular weakness for standard length '07s compiled a South African rarity list with ratings 1 to 17. It was further divided into the categories Common, Unusual, Rare and Very Rare.

Both the collectors placed the Ishapore 17 inch 'O7 in the Rare category with individual scores of 13 and 14. However, it is important to remember that the scores awarded were greatly influenced by their personal experiences in which luck obviously played its part. It must also be noted that the availability of any particular bayonet varies from country to country. While the Ishapore may be difficult to find in South Africa, that is not necessarily the case elsewhere. I had to import mine from the UK, but what I paid suggests that they were not in short supply!

To answer your original question, I guess you should get a good price for an Ishapore 17" in South Africa, but I don't think it would be in your interest to export it!

Thank you very much Terry!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast