User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Hooked on "Hunting Handguns"

Morning all. Just to tell you about an enjoyable hour or so. Since being a lot younger than currently, hunting with a revolver has been a wish and interest. Well, as life goes on it is not possible to live out all ones dreams. Time constraints, family, money etc... That does not mean that a "keep on looking" and "still will do" does not happen. Myself and my brother spend a lot of time together, hunt together, load together, SADPA shoot together etc. A few months back he phoned me: "A nephew phoned, he knows a guy who wants to sell a Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44 Rem Mag) urgently, I have bought it for us." Heart skipping 2 beats...

Well, after licensing, the revolver was run through its first few shots by us over the weekend. It was barely used by the previous owner. We plinked away about 50 odd cartridges. I think it is already more than previously in the guns life. Topped with a 2 x Handgun scope it is a ready to go hunting gun.

So what is this post about?

Just want to let you know that I am now completely hooked. What a nice revolver to shoot with! Recoil with factory loads are really not an issue. Ya, its not a Glock 19..., but it is not "kicking like a mule" or "hitting you on the head" like on youtube clips. We also ran a few hot reloads through it that I loaded for my .44 Marlin 1894 lever gun. A difference in recoil was noted.

In any case, the project will continue with load development and accuracy tests and learning to shoot a revolver. If any other gents are concerned about recoil or inaccuracy or whatever, forget it friends. Get a hunting handgun and shoot it, it really is highly addictive.

So if all goes according to plan we will hunt some blue wildebeest this winter with the .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk and the Marlin 1894 Lever gun in .44 Magnum as backup rifle.

(Note: For not having all the same in the family, I have bought a 6 inch .357 Magnum Taurus 686 SS to get cheaper and less "violent" handgun practice and will hunt smaller animals with it. Waiting for license.)

Default Re: Hooked on "Hunting Handguns"

Last year I bought a new Marlin. Or as the Americans say a Remlin. As the barrels are now made by Remington.
    I got hold of a Wild West trigger for mine. It is absolutely amazing how it improves the Marlin trigger.
    Takes all the sloppiness out.
    I also stripped it. And polished all the parts.
    And installed reduced hammer spring.
    And two small shims next to lever to center it better.
    Its now as smooth as butter. And the lever does not wobble.

User

Not sure if you saw this, may be of interest .
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCrVtt0VepjJDOCIENyC61Q

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Morning all. Just to tell you about an enjoyable hour or so. Since being a lot younger than currently, hunting with a revolver has been a wish and interest. Well, as life goes on it is not possible to live out all ones dreams. Time constraints, family, money etc... That does not mean that a "keep on looking" and "still will do" does not happen. Myself and my brother spend a lot of time together, hunt together, load together, SADPA shoot together etc. A few months back he phoned me: "A nephew phoned, he knows a guy who wants to sell a Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44 Rem Mag) urgently, I have bought it for us." Heart skipping 2 beats...

Well, after licensing, the revolver was run through its first few shots by us over the weekend. It was barely used by the previous owner. We plinked away about 50 odd cartridges. I think it is already more than previously in the guns life. Topped with a 2 x Handgun scope it is a ready to go hunting gun.

So what is this post about?

Just want to let you know that I am now completely hooked. What a nice revolver to shoot with! Recoil with factory loads are really not an issue. Ya, its not a Glock 19..., but it is not "kicking like a mule" or "hitting you on the head" like on youtube clips. We also ran a few hot reloads through it that I loaded for my .44 Marlin 1894 lever gun. A difference in recoil was noted.

In any case, the project will continue with load development and accuracy tests and learning to shoot a revolver. If any other gents are concerned about recoil or inaccuracy or whatever, forget it friends. Get a hunting handgun and shoot it, it really is highly addictive.

So if all goes according to plan we will hunt some blue wildebeest this winter with the .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk and the Marlin 1894 Lever gun in .44 Magnum as backup rifle.

(Note: For not having all the same in the family, I have bought a 6 inch .357 Magnum Taurus 686 SS to get cheaper and less "violent" handgun practice and will hunt smaller animals with it. Waiting for license.)
    Pics, or we don't believe you!

What grip do you use on the SBH? I find the factory grips somewhat painfull. They are much too small for my liking and hand size. Pachmayr and Hogue rubber grips improve the control and comfort a lot for me.

The 357 is much lighter, so it does not really recoil less with the hotter hunting loads. Again, grip configuration makes a difference on the hotter loads.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

The SBH is fitted with standard factory grips. I have small hands, so they work for me, but yes, I believe other grips would make it even more comfortable and controlled.

I have only shot about 20 rounds of .357 Magnum in my life, and if remembering correctly, I bet you have a valid point. Lighter gun, hot loads = same felt recoil as with SBH. Haven't give that a thought, but in any case, that .357 is also "new but used." It must come ASAP. The guy I have bought it from got it new in 1992 with 150 rounds. There is still about 120 rounds in the boxes that I can also have.

Regarding pics? I am way to technology retarded to post pics with this system currently used. In the old days when just copy and paste worked it could be done, but recently??? Sorry, I really don't have the will power and time to sort a dropbox or whatever type system for posting pics.