Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK USPc

User

Default HK USPc

I am looking at chopping off (within limits) my hammer as it is chowing through my clothes at an alarming rate. I recall someone on this forum doing the same, I couldn't find the thread I was looking for. Maybe it was on another forum, I don't really recall.

Anyway, does anyone have tips or advice on how far I should cut it down so as to stop it from eating holes in my shirt but still be able to cock it manually should I ever wish to do so?

User

Default Re: HK USPc

I cannot advise you except to point you in the right direction by telling you that the term you are searching for is "bobbed hammer", and that it might be more betterer to take the long route and source another hammer for your gun first. Preferably an already bobbed one (HK makes them), or if not, then at least one you can test with your sears before cutting it, and then cut without the risk of rendering your firearm non operational for months while you scramble for the replacement.

User

As an emergency stop gap, you could try de-horning the hammer in the meantime instead of bobbing it. That means, taking a high grit nail-file (less aggressive than a needle-file), and just rounding the sharp edges or snaggly bits that may be cutting your shirts. Be very conservative. Think along the lines of making a knife blade blunter. Be aware that HnK spurred hammers often are made with a plastic component molded over the metal part. And only dehorn the parts that are on the outside (when the gun is assembled). Dont go sanding the hammer sears(hooks)

EDIT: I must admit here: As I am not a formally trained dude, I never learned what the hooks on the hammer are actually called. I have heard several names for them, from sears to shears to hooks to bevels to "the edgy wedgies on the springy thingy". Whichever it is. Dont sandy wandy at them with the filey wileys.

User

“Sandy wandy with filey wileys”

Hahahhahaha

I laughed so hard the rest of the aeroplane thought I was mad

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

=)
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

The new style bobbed hammers seem to be out of stock, not that I'm bothered with new style vs old but they are expensive for such a small piece of metal. I can almost buy 2x magazines for the price of one bobbed hammer

Couple of years back I had a HK Expert. Which actually came with two hammers.

I would rather if im you wait till someone has stock.

Taking bits of the hammer reduces its weight.
    And remember your firing pin moves forward and hits primer with inertia.
    By taking bits of hammer you will have less inertia going into firingpin.
    Which could cause lite strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgildonatifan View Post
    The new style bobbed hammers seem to be out of stock, not that I'm bothered with new style vs old but they are expensive for such a small piece of metal. I can almost buy 2x magazines for the price of one bobbed hammer
    Yes, but how many shirts will you go through for the same priceż

User

Virgil, you sure it's the hammer?

most of my shirts are eaten by getting caught between gun/holster and walls etc than by the hammer

User

Quote Originally Posted by bloukaas View Post
    Virgil, you sure it's the hammer?

most of my shirts are eaten by getting caught between gun/holster and walls etc than by the hammer
    Yip, even my G19/holster setup eats my shirts... 😬 also used to blame my HK USP hammer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast