Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Semi-Auto...Benelli the right one?

Anyone with a Benelli m2 field that can comment on barrel lengths. 24, 26 and 28". Are you happy with your decision?

User

For all around use I’d have a 26” barrel. The M2 is an excellent shotgun. So is the Affinity, it’s made on the same assembly line as the M2 I’m told. The Affinity doesn’t have the Comfortech stock which is no big deal when shooting light loads but would be a deal for me if shooting heavy HD loads. I own two Affinity’s and like them.

I used to own a 930 Field/Security Combo which comes with a field barrel for hunting and a shorter tactical barrel. I’d still have it but sold it during the last gun buying panic here for a lot more than I paid for it. I can recommend the 930 too. It will have noticeably less recoil than an M2 or Affinity since it’s a gas gun.

I think Beretta makes excellent shotguns but their customer service sucks. Some people don’t care but it’s important to me.

It is also my opinion that the major shotgun brands today are all very reliable and the most important factor when buying one for hunting or clay sports is fit. Fit isn’t nearly as important for HD since in that scenario you are aiming as opposed to pointing.

I currently own Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, Franchi and FABARM shotguns and I would trust all of them for HD even though I only use one of them for that purpose. And I’d trust the Benelli, Berettas and Mossberg I used to own. I have handguns and an AR that I’d use for HD before a shotgun. I don’t envy you having to go through all the red tape you must go through to purchase a firearm. I’m grateful I can own as many guns as I want and that purchasing them is hassle free.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbeagle View Post
    For all around use I’d have a 26” barrel. The M2 is an excellent shotgun. So is the Affinity, it’s made on the same assembly line as the M2 I’m told. The Affinity doesn’t have the Comfortech stock which is no big deal when shooting light loads but would be a deal for me if shooting heavy HD loads. I own two Affinity’s and like them.

I used to own a 930 Field/Security Combo which comes with a field barrel for hunting and a shorter tactical barrel. I’d still have it but sold it during the last gun buying panic here for a lot more than I paid for it. I can recommend the 930 too. It will have noticeably less recoil than an M2 or Affinity since it’s a gas gun.

I think Beretta makes excellent shotguns but their customer service sucks. Some people don’t care but it’s important to me.

It is also my opinion that the major shotgun brands today are all very reliable and the most important factor when buying one for hunting or clay sports is fit. Fit isn’t nearly as important for HD since in that scenario you are aiming as opposed to pointing.

I currently own Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, Franchi and FABARM shotguns and I would trust all of them for HD even though I only use one of them for that purpose. And I’d trust the Benelli, Berettas and Mossberg I used to own. I have handguns and an AR that I’d use for HD before a shotgun. I don’t envy you having to go through all the red tape you must go through to purchase a firearm. I’m grateful I can own as many guns as I want and that purchasing them is hassle free.
    Thanks for the info and feeback cdbeagle! Greatly appreciated! Yes I've also thought of the 26" option to serve as multi-purpose. Never was this supposed to be specifically for home defense, I also never said that I'll be choosing between a handgun or a shotgun. I'm still of the opinion that a shotgun can be used as a effective option for that, but at this point in time I want a shotgun for some clays and hunting and if it comes to it.... home defense. Yes it won't be used for competitions but if I buy a proper gun now it should last me a lifetime.

I was lucky enough to handle a Beretta 1301 comp, a400 novator 30" and a Benelli vinci in 28" (only Benelli they had) at Safari this weekend. The a400 felt to long for me out of the 3. No question. The 1301 has beautiful balance. I like it! The Vinci was also very nice indeed. So when the time comes or I get a good deal on a Benelli M2 in 26 or 28 I will go for it. But man in Cape Town we are limited for choices..... sheesh

A Friend of mine has a 930 that I can try, so I will be doing that as well. Once again, thanks for your input!

Finally got my benelli m2 at the beginning of March. Bought a 28 inch field. Main use for rock pigeon and some waterfowl hunting and the occasional clays maybe one day get into some 3 gun competition . Wanted a reliable workhorse and good all-rounder. It's setup now and fits me like my beretta o/u which is also 28 inch. The benelli is longer but it handles very well and swings nicely and is very light. Love it to bits and the other shotguns have taken a rest in the safe for the time being. Don't find the recoil as opposed to gas guns offensive at all, although came across snappy initially. Haven't had a chance at some wingshooting yet but shot some good scores in compak sporting which include a couple of 22s and 23s. It comes back on target very quickly for second shots. I'm a stickler for cleaning my guns and the benelli is a joy in simplicity and ease of cleaning. Needless to say I'm very happy. If overall length bothers you go 26 inch but must say I'm enjoying the 28. Feel free if you have any further questions.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3