Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Need an EDC

User

Default Re: Need an EDC

Shooty what is it that makes you prefer the Glock over the Smith?
    Just curious as I'm waiting for my card to be printed for the Smith, was approved 2 months ago.

At the moment I carry the Po1 clone, almost renewal time but it has served me well, fitted CZ trigger and competition hammer, no creep and very light, reset is very good.

The reason for the sub compact is that I am a diesel mechanic and the pistol does snag a bit. I carry IWB appendix as it iis the most practical for this application.

Striker or hammer makes little difference for me, both work.

Before the Canik I carried a Taurus pt 92 c, served me well since 1998, traded it in for the Smith a few months back, the CZ design was a big step forward as it is slimmer. That Taurus weighed 1 KG on the dot loaded but it was with me almost every day.

Slowly getting wiser re concealed carry, I am a flyweight and normally have a T shirt and cargo shorts as my attire. Canik conceals well bit does snag.

User

Shooty has had a bad experience with one Shield.

I also own a Shield. It's an excellent gun, it's very accurate and soft-shooting, it really shoots like a big gun. I've function tested all my carry ammo (both 147gr Rangers and 127gr +P+ Rangers) in it, and it's no fire-spitting bucking dragon with either of these. Part of this is because of a very clever recoil spring setup, part because it's heavier than most of its counterparts (the M&Ps were generally designed for 40 and then also made in 9mm, so they're not the lightest guns) and part because it isn't the smallest gun. Its grip length with the standard 7rd mag is ever so slightly longer than my 9c with the flat baseplate 12rd mag. With the 8rd mag fitted it's appreciably longer.

I bought mine for those times that require a thinner, lighter, smaller gun than the 9c that lives on my hip. These times a few and far between. At the time I bought it, it was the only viable option (the only other single stack options being Ruger or Taurus, both DAO, neither really known as top-quality guns). If had to buy a gun for that same application today, it would almost certainly be a G43. The slight size advantage over the Shield outweighs the one round capacity penalty, imho.

None of the above detract from the fact that the Shield remains an excellent carry gun. Mine is a safe queen, because for 99% of the time, the 9c is excellenter But for that 1%, the Shield can just vanish on your person. I'm a proper maergat, and with the right gear (belt and holsters) these are all a breeze to conceal.

User

Thanks Pirate, I was beginning to doubt my choice. Being a flyweight myself concealment is easy, it's the working while concealed that poses a few challenges. The Canik weighs in at 900 grams loaded so not much lighter than the Taurus, but again the weight has never been the problem for me, the width is a different matter as far as conceal ability goes.
    Couple of weeks ago I was in a ceiling running cables, not much space crawling around there, the biggest problem was not the firearm in my pants, it was the pliers in my back pocket which kept snagging in beams.

On printing and carrying, a chap I know from our hunting association had a pistol stolen off him. Being an ex policeman he carried it on his hip, he was known for having FA's as he was not very discreet and lives in an unsavoury neighbourhood. People noticed this, staged an incident and while he was distracted, grabbed his pistol and ran. I reckon he's lucky(that's his name as well) he was not shot with his own weapon.

This certainly drove the conceal ability home for me.

User

On another note, a dilemma I've faced for sometime is paddle ski fishing. I hate being without a fire arm but her I'm stumped, I could get to the beach and back no problem. After that it becomes complicated, I could rig up a water proof lunch box but we often need to be separated from what goes into the boat while loading and unloading the boats, then we often get tossed in the surf, occasionally even capsize on the water.
    Compounding this is the need to launch at first light, get wet and reverse the process when coming in. We do have a waterproof hatch for cellphone and other bits but it remains risky however I bat it around.

I think it will remain an unworkable situation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    On another note, a dilemma I've faced for sometime is paddle ski fishing. I hate being without a fire arm but her I'm stumped, I could get to the beach and back no problem. After that it becomes complicated, I could rig up a water proof lunch box but we often need to be separated from what goes into the boat while loading and unloading the boats, then we often get tossed in the surf, occasionally even capsize on the water.
    Compounding this is the need to launch at first light, get wet and reverse the process when coming in. We do have a waterproof hatch for cellphone and other bits but it remains risky however I bat it around.

Can you put it in a zip lock bag or a unlubed knotted condom and carry as normal?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post

I use a moonbag. Put it in a zip lock bag or similar. Keep other essentials with me too. That way if I'm separated from my ski it stays with me.

User

Thanks Guys, sounds as though there may be a solution after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeza View Post
    The Walther has better ergonomics, a better trigger, better (ambidextrous!) operator controls, easier disassembly, and definitely better aesthetics.
    All irrelevant if you cannot get parts.

What are you going to do when you need a new striker or extractor. Or even a spare mag?

Sit and look at your expensive and pretty paperweight, that's what.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    The G26 is neither here nor there in terms of its size in your view?

I think the 43 does a better job of being really small.

Probably the most EDC friendly pistol on the market. Missus just bought on. Just need the fellows who make them to make us some 7 or preferably 8 round magazines. They would sell a truck load the next day.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast