Default Self manufactured Rifle Safe!

Hi guys, apart from the fact that a manufactured rifle safe should comply to SANS 953-1 I would like to try something new (perhaps not so new) and need your advice please!

I would like to manufacture a 20 gun rifle safe but with the one side made out of armoured/bullet proof glass!

Are there any existing glass specifications anybody know of that I need to comply with or is this just a bad stupid idea??

Any comments / suggestions welcome!!

Regards

User

Default Re: Self manufactured Rifle Safe!

My personal idea is that it is not a good idea, what do you want to advertise, do not advertise what you do not want to sell? A brick or hammer do a lot more damage to a bullet proof window, than a bullet.

User

I can appreciate the line of thought. If you have a strong room which complies to all regs, a safe with a window inside this strong room would be something cool.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

User

Magnum Safes have something similar under their custom safes on their website

Thanks guys, I appreciate all inputs! For my own security purposes I will not reveal all but Magnum wants anything between R50K and R80K.......if it was SABS approved perhaps acceptable but it is not!
    No specifications obviously available to the public from them!
    Rene Turck & Associates came with a glass suggestion but the value of the experience out there is most important to me!
    The more inputs the better......surely it was done before and a product produced that is as strong or stronger then a SABS Type A1 safe?

User

Fiberglass is bulletproof
    Yet you can cut through it in seconds...
    I have never seen bullet proof glass except on tv...
    Apparently you can easily stab through a bullet proof vest(not the plate type)
    I would be very cautious of what materials I used for what...

It is the following part of the act that is confusing to me! What is the definition of "lockable display cabinet or similar device" and what is rendered suitable as a "suitable locking device" and where does "not readily removable" start?

License to Posses a Firearm in a Private Collection
    Any firearm, including a prohibited firearm, can be licensed in this category.[61] However, the firearm must be one approved for collection by an accredited collectors association; the applicant must be a member of an accredited collectors association; and the license application must be accompanied by a sworn statement or solemn declaration from the chairperson of the association verifying the applicant’s membership.[62] The firearm must be at least fifty years old and have an attribute of collectability that is of historical, cultural, artistic, technological, heritage, or scientific value.[63]
    This type of license is issued for a ten-year term and may be renewed if the licensee is in compliance with all applicable requirements.[64]
    Both the FCA and FCA Regulations impose rigorous safety requirements for holders of licenses in this category. A storage place is specified in every license, and the licensee is required to store the firearm at the specified place.[65] The licensee may put the firearm on public display provided that
    (a) the firearm is unloaded;
    (b) the firearm, if it is a handgun, is displayed in a lockable display cabinet; or
    (c) where the firearm is on open display, it must be rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device; or
    (d) the firearm is securely attached to a non-portable structure on which, or in which, it is displayed by a metal attachment, chain, metal cable or similar device in such manner that the firearm cannot readily be removed; and
    (e) the firearm is not displayed with, and is not readily accessible to, ammunition that can be discharged from it, except where such firearm or ammunition is displayed in a locked display cabinet or similar device.[66]

User

My understanding of that part of the act is that it is intended for a specific situation, namely where a private collector wishes to temporarily put firearm(s) from his collection on display, such as might happen at a collectors association function or open day where members of the public could come along and view the collections. If my understanding is correct, then it would not be applicable to "permanent" storage of the firearms at home.

I do like the way you're thinking though and hope that you get good advice here that will allow you to up with a good solution to what you're trying to achieve. ;-)

Following with interest.......

Tx BBCT.......back to original design will be 6 x SABS safes combined! 4 x SABS wall safes will form base about 500mm high by 1600mm wide and 400mm deep. Two SABS rifle safes on top and turned sideways and on each end will form the sides for easy access through the doors. The two rifle safes at the top's backs gets opened up and then the idea is to cover the top and back with minimum 3mm VRN400.

Now it is just the glass part that I need answers on!!