Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: What .22 to get?

Ive got the CZ 455 lux and its super accurate, with any ammo you want to shoot with it. I know .22’s are full of sh.... when it comes to ammo and normally a .22 will only like one or two sorts of ammo but my 455 eats anything you feed it and spits it out very well. You wont be sorry with the 455. Will also like to get the .177 barrel at a later stage but for now the .22 is good enough up to 150meters shooting pigeons and guinea fowl.

User

I own both a bolt action and a semi-auto 22. I love both and shoot them a lot. So do my kids.

While the semi-auto is lots of fun to shoot, the bolt action is the one I can't live without. Get a bolt action first, the semi-auto later.

A 16" barrel is all you need. Longer barrels give more weight up front and longer sight radius, but no advantage in accuracy or velocity.

User

Thank you for the input. I have shot the 15/22, and yes its a lot of fun. But in this case I do believe a bolt action will have more value in terms of teaching fundamentals etc.
    Can't seem to find any Ruger .22's around, the CZ 455's seem to be available. With huntex around the corner, Im hoping for a special of sorts.

User

My vote goes to the 10/22. I went to the range today to shoot my takedown version with a red-dot, 2 hours later I was still smiling.

I went from fast shooting with the 25 round mag at 25m to further bench rest shots at distance using the 10 round magazine.

If I get another .22 rifle, I’ll get another 10/22. This time a normal version with a magnified optic. I love my takedown with the red dot though!

For 6000 rand for the wooden stock version, it’s hard to beat and a reason why it’s one of the most popular rifles in the world.

User

CZ 455 evolution 5 shots 50m before setting scope :) ....was told they stop makeing them and only 11 was shipped to S.A
    455 you cant go wrong a huge range to choose from
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

The bottom line is, you’ll have to get two!

A bolt action, which can be had for very little money, for the joys of precision shooting, plinking or hunting, and then an AR style semi auto for the adrenaline rush of action shooting sports.

Also, currently you can participate in the NGPSA Mini Rifle league shoots (Level 1) without being a member of NGPSA or SAPSA. You are allowed as a guest on the condition that you are a competent and safe participant from a different association.

You don’t need any expensive accesories or paraphernalia. No expensive holster rigs or optics are required. Distances are usually no further than 60 or 70 meters with a limited number of shots at a 100m at one of the ranges. The standard flip up sights usually sold with a gun like the Smith and Wesson 15-22 are adequate. Out of all the IPSC disciplines, Mini Rifle is probably the cheapest. Multiple people can even share the same equipment without any inconvenient gun swapping.

IMO this is the best place for younger children to get involved in IPSC or action shooting sports. The rifle is light, easy to hold and aim, and safely control. For kids even managing the recoil on a Production pistol can be a big ask, which limits their participation.

Interestingly, the usual kiddies participants are most often girls.

And finally, the best part is...no picking up brass!

Regards,
    Wesley

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

A 16" barrel is all you need. Longer barrels give more weight up front and longer sight radius, but no advantage in accuracy or velocity.
    Regarding barrel length, how much of an issue is it to get the barrel cut down to a shorter length? Can it be done with ease locally.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Regarding barrel length, how much of an issue is it to get the barrel cut down to a shorter length? Can it be done with ease locally.
    A proper cutting and recrowning job is easy. The legal hurdles are not. Ask your gunsmith what the procedure is. He will have to get the rifle tested at ballistics then get permission to alter it from CFR.

User

My favorite is the CZ 512. It uses the same magazines as a 455.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    A proper cutting and recrowning job is easy. The legal hurdles are not. Ask your gunsmith what the procedure is. He will have to get the rifle tested at ballistics then get permission to alter it from CFR.
    ?I had my shotgun barrel cut down to 14". Was done by a gunsmith in 20min, zero paperwork ballistic tests etc. Is there a legal difference between rifles and shotguns when it comes to recrowning or shortening a barrel?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast