Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Utah...

User

Default Utah...

My wife works for a international company. Their VP visits this week. They have a 2 hour career discussion, and he mentions that if interested we could apply to move to their EU office in Brussels in the next 24 months. Not bad, but not gun friendly either.. Then he mentions that another option is to move to the vicinity of Provo, Utah where their head-office is. Now, everyone knows LRSOU, but I Google and find this snippit: "Utah's firearm laws are some of the more permissive in the United States."

Not to say we're going, and normal working visa folks can't really own FA's unless it's specific to ATF Form 4473, but at least it's not California...

User

Default Re: Utah...

Any openings at your wife's company? I'll be flooding HR with my CV!

Hope you guys manage to work it out! From experience I can tell you it can be a long and frustrating road if you don't have a direct "in".

My wife and I have been working on getting over there for 2 years now, and it's still a long road ahead for us.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    My wife works for a international company. Their VP visits this week. They have a 2 hour career discussion, and he mentions that if interested we could apply to move to their EU office in Brussels in the next 24 months. Not bad, but not gun friendly either.. Then he mentions that another option is to move to the vicinity of Provo, Utah where their head-office is. Now, everyone knows LRSOU, but I Google and find this snippit: "Utah's firearm laws are some of the more permissive in the United States."

Not to say we're going, and normal working visa folks can't really own FA's unless it's specific to ATF Form 4473, but at least it's not California...
    Provo is basically to Salt Lake City what Midrand is to Johburg. And yes, Utah has awesome gun laws. Good, healthy economy too.

I say GO FOR IT.

PS: I'm leaving for the US on Tuesday to have my Immigration Visa stamped so they can issue my Green Card. Finally going over begining of August.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post

pblaauw,
    My daughter married a young man from Salt Lake City and they live in Salt Lake City. I also married a Utah girl but we now live in my home state of Georgia. Utah has some very good and accommodating gun laws. It is my understanding there is a proficiency shooting test or documentation of required training in order to get a concealed carry permit. Note, if you get to Utah, travel north to Ogden and checkout the Browning Firearms Museum, John Browning was a Utah man.

Utah has a great quality of life and many good schools if you have school-aged children. However, due to the limited amount of private property available, the Federal Government controls something like 60% of Utah's land, housing is surprisingly expensive, especially along the Wasatch Front-the valley from Payson, Utah north to around Ogden, Utah. Regarding hunting (this is what I've been told, I've never been invited to hunt there), the marshes around the Great Salt Lake offer great Duck Shooting. However, the duck clubs are expensive. For big game there is Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope.

Hope this helps.

Sportster

User

Thanks Sportster, this is a long term option for us should we need to leave. Being from SA we are used to proficiency tests and tons of documentation relating to firearms :)

User

UTAH......great place, beautiful state, gun friendly, job friendly, nice people, lot's to do there. Excellent hiking at Bryce Canyon and other places, dirt biking and other off-road sports, water sports on Lake Powell in the warm months, winter sports in the mountains and elsewhere when it snows......what's not to like about Utah? Just stock up on beers on Saturday 'cos many places don't sell alcohol on Sunday's. Cigarette smoking prohibited in many places. That's a good thing in my book.

Not sure about gun ownership when on a work permit. I would imagine a person has the right to protect themselves and their family with a firearm if they so choose. Look into that some more. All I found was this..... Illegal residents of the United States......​ cannot own a firearm. So if you are in the country legally i.e. with a work permit, you should be good to go.

Oh.....NO RESTRICTIONS ON AUTOMATIC WEAPONS!!!! Utah is on my list of possible places to go.

On a vaguely related note.....I just got this in the mail a couple weeks ago. (Sorry about all the blacking out.....can't be too careful these days.)

Good in the green and orange states. Not good in the red states..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Provo is basically to Salt Lake City what Midrand is to Johburg. And yes, Utah has awesome gun laws. Good, healthy economy too.

I say GO FOR IT.

PS: I'm leaving for the US on Tuesday to have my Immigration Visa stamped so they can issue my Green Card. Finally going over begining of August.
    m
    What part of the USA are you moving to?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Texasproud View Post
    m
    What part of the USA are you moving to?
    I’m in Denver.

Sorry for the late reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

No problem.Denver has some great things going for it. I enjoyed Red Rocks for the concerts. too many people from California have changed it from the gun friendly state it used to be.

User

I wouldn't mind moving to the US, usually us software developers can get jobs relatively easy anywhere in the world, just now idea how to go about it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast