Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Help with handgun values please

I can't help with your choices, but as far as your wife goes....

My wife was the same and giving them all these facts about how safe guns can be does not help. They have a believe that's been
    ingrained into them for a long time.

When I got my pistol I cleared it/made it safe. Then I showed my wife how it looks and works and gave her the rundown on the safety rules.
    I told her that I am teaching her, not so that she would like guns, but only for her to understand the basics.
    Then I let it be.

After a couple of range outings later I asked if she would like to come with.
    At the range I asked if she would like to take a shot. I explained the safety rules again and she took a shot.

Since then, my ammo purchases doubled. I am actually bussy helping her with the competency as we speak.

Give it time and remember their fear of firearms is not rational, its an emotionally based believe. Don't force it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco L View Post
    I can't help with your choices, but as far as your wife goes....

My wife was the same and giving them all these facts about how safe guns can be does not help. They have a believe that's been
    ingrained into them for a long time.

When I got my pistol I cleared it/made it safe. Then I showed my wife how it looks and works and gave her the rundown on the safety rules.
    I told her that I am teaching her, not so that she would like guns, but only for her to understand the basics.
    Then I let it be.

After a couple of range outings later I asked if she would like to come with.
    At the range I asked if she would like to take a shot. I explained the safety rules again and she took a shot.

Since then, my ammo purchases doubled. I am actually bussy helping her with the competency as we speak.

Give it time and remember their fear of firearms is not rational, its an emotionally based believe. Don't force it.
    Thanks for the story and the advice... Gives me a lot of hope! My wife isn't super adverse to firearms as such... She's been shooting with me before. Although one incident freaked her out... An ejected shell got caught in her glasses and the turned to shake it out had an accidental discharge.

It's just the thought of them being kept at home that stresses her out.

User

Default Re: Help with handgun values please

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Thanks for the story and the advice... Gives me a lot of hope! My wife isn't super adverse to firearms as such... She's been shooting with me before. Although one incident freaked her out... An ejected shell got caught in her glasses and the turned to shake it out had an accidental discharge.
    Some important tips for girls of all ages when shooting guns:

1. Wear a top with small collar. A cleavage is the ideal hot doppie catcher. (There will be lots of eager men willing to help her get it out again.)
    2. Wear good ear protection. My wife and daughter double plug, i.e. they wear soft earplugs with ear muffs over them. Females have more sensitive ears than most of us males.
    3. Wear good eye protection that fits fairly snugly. Any gaps between the safety glasses and the face are likely to catch a HOT case sooner or later.
    4. Wear a peak cap. This is not a range fashion accessory, it is a safety item. It keeps cases from hitting the face and glasses from the top, where they are most likely to get stuck and cause a nice, doppie-shaped blister.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4