Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The thing with handgun hunting is not to try and take a rifle shot with a handgun. It is about getting close enough to be sure of a killing shot with the handgun. Leave your rifle mindset at home and come with something close to a bow hunting mindset. Just please don't build a hide at the watering hole...
    Agreed.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Does anyone have penetration charts for the main stream handguns related to FMJ ammunition.

I've put numerous wounded animals down with a 40 s&w while guiding. I switch over to 180grn FMJ's. Simply they penetrate a lot more at various angles. Cheaper. And when making holes in animals I see little to no difference between HP ammo.

User

SBB...With a handgun you have a choice...penetration or expansion,but not both. While both are pretty much vital to ensuring a fast death to the animal,a caliber size hole punched into the animals vitals [even if the wound is only temporary and half closes after the bullet's passage] is preferable to a large expanded hole that fails to reach the vitals.

This becomes more and more of a concern as the size of the animal increases.

The best compromise is the 'Keith type" lead bullet with the semi flat nose and cutting shoulder,this design gives exellent penetration while creating a decent wound channel.

Problem is feeding issues with this bullet shape in a pistol.

The only way you are going to drop a wounded animal in it's tracks or to finish it off humanely is in any case a shot to the brain.For this purpose it will make little difference as to whether you use a HP or a FMJ. [In this scenario]

If you are counting on the 40S&W putting down wounded but very mobile animals that are not on their last legs then i think a rifle is your better bet. Use the pistol purely for killing a basically immobile animal.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The thing with handgun hunting is not to try and take a rifle shot with a handgun. It is about getting close enough to be sure of a killing shot with the handgun. Leave your rifle mindset at home and come with something close to a bow hunting mindset. Just please don't build a hide at the watering hole...
    I thought the thing about any type of HUNTING was to get close enough to make sure of a kill shot PERIOD. its not about a bow, handgun or any other weapon mind set that's the issue its about an ethical hunting mind set that is required and without it your just like the yahoo in the article.
    If you take issue with that then so be it.....

User

Ripcord....I think as far as morals,ethics,knowledge,hunting and shooting ability is concerned then A-R is above reproach.

Me...i am not arguing or contradicting you as i happen to agree with your post but you are saying the exact same thing as A-R says...just the wording is different.

No issue to be taken...it looks to me like we are on the same side of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Ripcord....I think as far as morals,ethics,knowledge,hunting and shooting ability is concerned then A-R is above reproach.

Me...i am not arguing or contradicting you as i happen to agree with your post but you are saying the exact same thing as A-R says...just the wording is different.

No issue to be taken...it looks to me like we are on the same side of the fence.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    I thought the thing about any type of HUNTING was to get close enough to make sure of a kill shot PERIOD. its not about a bow, handgun or any other weapon mind set that's the issue its about an ethical hunting mind set that is required and without it your just like the yahoo in the article.
    If you take issue with that then so be it.....
    That is another way of putting it, and I agree.

What I tried to illustrate, is that when hunting with a rifle, most of us can confidently take a 200m shot. With a short-barreled open-sighted handgun in a calibre like 10mm Auto, this distance shrinks to 10, or maybe at the most 20m. Long barreled scoped revolvers can stretch that to around 50m, depending on the hunter's skill. With a Tompson Center Contender with scope in 30-30 calibre, and with a stable shooting position, a 100m shot would not be a problem. So we can not generalize with hunting handguns, as there are various types. Horses for courses and all that...

no issues A-R like most of us on here I am just passionate about all things hunting especially keeping it real, safe and ethical.
    Horses for courses indeed lol.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    SBB...With a handgun you have a choice...penetration or expansion,but not both. While both are pretty much vital to ensuring a fast death to the animal,a caliber size hole punched into the animals vitals [even if the wound is only temporary and half closes after the bullet's passage] is preferable to a large expanded hole that fails to reach the vitals.

This becomes more and more of a concern as the size of the animal increases.

The best compromise is the 'Keith type" lead bullet with the semi flat nose and cutting shoulder,this design gives exellent penetration while creating a decent wound channel.

Problem is feeding issues with this bullet shape in a pistol.

The only way you are going to drop a wounded animal in it's tracks or to finish it off humanely is in any case a shot to the brain.For this purpose it will make little difference as to whether you use a HP or a FMJ. [In this scenario]

If you are counting on the 40S&W putting down wounded but very mobile animals that are not on their last legs then i think a rifle is your better bet. Use the pistol purely for killing a basically immobile animal.
    Morning Pre64. Sorry for the delay as I'm actually mid hunt. Agree putting down an animal without a CNS shot is not very successful. However that said I often don't have a rifle with me an bump a wounded animal. 2 or 3 solids into it and my terrier will generally always catch up to it allowing for a finish off shot. Not ideal but when in the bush...

A Texas heart shot in a pig with JHP is a lot worse than FMJ 's in my experience. Penetration sucks and breaking bone is worse.

User

Agreed SBB...I do stand to correction but i do not think that a hunting bullet as such is being made for the pistol calibers. So you get the FMJ's with their pro's and con's and then you get all your HP and SD designs which are made to stop people which are a lot more fragile than huntable game.

Either way you have a compromise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4