Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
  1. #21
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Under the Jackalberry.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,337

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    10 mm is used by Danish Police in Greenland for defence against Polar Bear attacks. One would think if it can stop a bear it could stop a lion or other large mammal as well.
    Have the Danes now colonized Greenland?

    With all our local issues I seem to have lost track of international politics...

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Have the Danes now colonized Greenland?

    With all our local issues I seem to have lost track of international politics...
    lol. A_R, it never EVER happens that there is something I know that you dont. I am an avid follower of your posts here and have copied and pasted your notes a lot in the past. But in this case I actually do know :) Greenland is in fact Policed by a branch of the Danish Police service. I'll go look for some links

    (aiirc, the are, or were,at some stage, issued with G20's)

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_en...t_in_Greenland

    and

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Dog_Sled_Patrol

    The patrol formerly used Pistol M/49 sidearms chambered in 9×19mm Parabellum, but they proved insufficient against the polar bears encountered.[13]
    "The weapons carried also reflect the harsh conditions. Only bolt-action rifles (M17/M53) perform reliably. The standard SIG210 Neuhausen sidearm was recently replaced by the 10mm Glock 20, as the stopping power of multiple 9mm rounds proved to be insufficient against a polar bear."[14]

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    If you want to experience just how far removed Greenland is from South Africa in terms of everything, read up on the Greenland Prison system :)

    The Greenlandic prison system runs with a uniquely open model. Prisoners must report to prison between 9:30pm and 6:30am each day, but may go to work, visit relatives and complete errands while in the community. They also may hunt with firearms if they are escorted by a prison guard. Prisoners have keys to their own cells, as this is regarded as a form of privacy. A failure to attend prison will result in 7 days in solitary confinement once the escapee returns.

  5. #25
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Under the Jackalberry.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,337

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    lol. A_R, it never EVER happens that there is something I know that you dont. I am an avid follower of your posts here and have copied and pasted your notes a lot in the past. But in this case I actually do know :) Greenland is in fact Policed by a branch of the Danish Police service. I'll go look for some links

    (aiirc, the are, or were,at some stage, issued with G20's)
    Thanks! I never even considered the possibility that greenland was not an autonomous country. Maybe it's because I have a strong disinterest in all very cold places...

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Yes, people often confuse Greenland with Iceland. They are in fact very different. One is very cold, and the other one is worse.

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jnb
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,096

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Trust Messor to have a go at the 30-06 in this thread! Made me laugh out loud. :)

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  8. #28

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Go for a Thompsons contender for a hand gun.
    Can take from .22 long through to .308 to 45 -70 if you like.
    It gives you distance and power with those rounds and the thrill of hunting with a hand gun.
    Not a big fan of using a FA intended primarily for Self defence to shoot any animal unless it is to administer the coup de grace.
    I know there are many who would argue strongly in favour of handgun hunting and that's fine.
    Imho however I would like to emphasis much of what has been said about losing animals because of limited ballistics.
    Something about ethical hunting keeps going around in my head that precludes me from this kind of hunting.
    Just my 5 cents worth.

  9. #29

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    Yes, people often confuse Greenland with Iceland. They are in fact very different. One is very cold, and the other one is worse.

  10. #30
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Under the Jackalberry.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,337

    Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Go for a Thompsons contender for a hand gun.
    Can take from .22 long through to .308 to 45 -70 if you like.
    It gives you distance and power with those rounds and the thrill of hunting with a hand gun.
    Not a big fan of using a FA intended primarily for Self defence to shoot any animal unless it is to administer the coup de grace.
    I know there are many who would argue strongly in favour of handgun hunting and that's fine.
    Imho however I would like to emphasis much of what has been said about losing animals because of limited ballistics.
    Something about ethical hunting keeps going around in my head that precludes me from this kind of hunting.
    Just my 5 cents worth.
    The thing with handgun hunting is not to try and take a rifle shot with a handgun. It is about getting close enough to be sure of a killing shot with the handgun. Leave your rifle mindset at home and come with something close to a bow hunting mindset. Just please don't build a hide at the watering hole...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •