Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: Which 3 calibers would you choose in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    While I love all these exotic calibres and wildcats, I would stick to common-as-dirt calibres for my primary bread-and-butter guns. The exotics are more suited to a nice-to-have gun.
    My thoughts exactly. I’ve decided to first buy a 270 Win and then take it from there. While something like a 338 Lapua would be nice for target shooting, it would be insane using it on a walk ‘n stalk in the Rockies.

If it were me I would say:

.223 in a semi auto or bolt – Good coyote / varmint / plinker
    .270 or .30-’06 bolt action as main hunting rifle
    .338 Win Mag. Use in Alaska for bear or be a great option for elk or things further way in the Rockies. (Change scopes as required)

Also get a .22 lr for plinking / bunnies
    Decent 12g pump action or semi-auto
    .44 mag / 357 Lever action – revolver combo (because YEEEHAWWWW!!!)

User

It’s been a while since I’ve killed an elk. I always used a .270 and it worked fine. In the U.S. hunters that live in elk country tend to use rifles chambered in .270, 30-06, etc. Elk hunters that don’t live in elk country go for .338 WM and such. You’ll have to travel pretty far from Colorado to hunt brown bear. One of Alaska’s preeminent brown bear guides, Phil Shoemaker is just fine with clients who bring a 30-06.

The 6.5 Creedmoor mania is something to behold over here. Fortunately I have not succumbed to it since I’ve been using a 6.5x55 for a long time. If I didn’t load for it I’d probably have a Creedmoor.

I too will take a 22-250 over a .223 in a hunting rifle. Coyote hunting is addictive and a 22-250 reaches out further than a .223. In fairness though most coyotes and bobcats are shot well within .223 range.

Being that firearms are so easy to acquire here it isn’t uncommon to go overboard. I’ve gotten rid of some over the past six years and am making do with 15 rifles, 12 shotguns and 10 handguns. Such is life.

User

300(of your choice - I like the 300 H&H)

Goodnight nurse

You gonna miss RSA!

User

Here's my three choices of calibers for the good, ole US of A.

.22 Small Game and Plinking
    .223 Defense and Varmint Hunting
    .30-06 or .308 Defense and Big Game Hunting (IMO, Ballistically a .308 is .97% of everything a 30-06 is, I've killed whitetail deer with a .308 and a .30-06 and can't tell the difference in the field). If you go the .308 route, here in the US you have more defensive rifle options available (AR-10, M-1A, FN-FAL, HK-91, etc), if you want a good defensive rifle in .30-06, you really have one choice, M-1 Garand. M-1 Garands are available and affordable and frequently used in military rifle competitions.

Sportster

Sportster

User

So Jacko, which of your chosen calibers do you have so far?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

If only 3, I would use:
    25-06 Remington for varminting and long ramge hunting.
    30-06 for the rest.
    .375 Ruger for close and large animal work.

But every American needs to have an AR, so get 4

User

Personally I would go for these three if I went to the USA:

1. 6.5-284 Norma (Since you liked the 270, I think you would love this one. 142gr ABLR with BC 0.719 and SD 0.291 at between 2750 to 3000 ft/s. You can even take Elk with this one.) https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6...ion-cartridge/
    http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html
    2. .338 Win Mag (Great all-rounder/best-all-rounder shoots from 160gr up to 300gr, great for that brown bear at short ranges or those Elk at long range) The 338 Lapua is only needed if you want to hunt that bear at 200 km away...
    3. .35 Remington (In lever action for a brush gun, you can also go with a 45-70 if you'd like , but I would like the 35 Remington a little better)

bonus:
    4. .223 in AR (For plinking around cheaply)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6