Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Chamber cleaning - (bolt action) Share your secrets please..

So, how do you guys clean the chamber of your bolt-actions? There are tons of threads on the bore / barrel cleaning but not the chamber itself..

Why I ask, little back story. Went out with a friend to Krododilspruit range yesterday where MC Tactical was having a very simple but fun long range match. 6 shots only, 3 on gongs, and 3 on 500m paper. We were up at 10:30am, so took some time beforehand to check zero, run some rounds through and steady the nerves a bit. I was using Messor's favourite caliber as my 6.5 Creed is not ready yet. I fired 2 x 3 round groups at 100m, then a few shots out further. All rounds fed and extracted fine.

Our turn on the line, and my first shot goes well, 2nd shot not so well (wind) and then the case fails to extract. Luckily my friend has a cleaning rod handy and I knock the case out, and continue my string. The rest all extracted fine.

I know the cases were fine, as they were all previously fire formed, trimmed to factory length, properly deburred (I even used 1000grit water paper on the edges to make sure), and the load was not excessive at all (2669fps measured over 4 shots). The only thing I can think of was the chamber getting dirty..

So, any good methods for cleaning the chamber itself?

User

Default Re: Chamber cleaning - (bolt action) Share your secrets please..

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    So, how do you guys clean the chamber of your bolt-actions? There are tons of threads on the bore / barrel cleaning but not the chamber itself..

Why I ask, little back story. Went out with a friend to Krododilspruit range yesterday where MC Tactical was having a very simple but fun long range match. 6 shots only, 3 on gongs, and 3 on 500m paper. We were up at 10:30am, so took some time beforehand to check zero, run some rounds through and steady the nerves a bit. I was using Messor's favourite caliber as my 6.5 Creed is not ready yet. I fired 2 x 3 round groups at 100m, then a few shots out further. All rounds fed and extracted fine.

Our turn on the line, and my first shot goes well, 2nd shot not so well (wind) and then the case fails to extract. Luckily my friend has a cleaning rod handy and I knock the case out, and continue my string. The rest all extracted fine.

I know the cases were fine, as they were all previously fire formed, trimmed to factory length, properly deburred (I even used 1000grit water paper on the edges to make sure), and the load was not excessive at all (2669fps measured over 4 shots). The only thing I can think of was the chamber getting dirty..

So, any good methods for cleaning the chamber itself?
    Following with interest.

User

I use a piece of square sponge with hoppes, now and then.

I have a twisted wire with a loop at the and to work the sponge through and keep it in place. Small wire, big sponge so nothing can get scratched.

I've also used a shotgun brass brush, but wrap it with cloth.

My dad have done it all the years and I've also never had a issue with any damage or other problems.
    Maybe there's a better way, but it works for me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

I am skeptic that your stuck case was due to a dirty chamber. What's the brand and history of the case and how hot are your loads running?

User

Scuse me, I missed your last paragraph....

My thinking is. Since the cases were only fire formed and not sized again. They already were against or close to chamber sides. When they were fired again. That case expanded a bit more. And got it self stuck in chamber. Doubt after couple of firings it could dirty up enough to cause that.

Presstick
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Bottle brush,soft cloth.

Also doubt dirt was the cause of your problem.

User

Was at ARMS Waterkloof to hand in the Creed for some work, bought a 45cal copper brush and cloth type brush. Let's see :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Was at ARMS Waterkloof to hand in the Creed for some work, bought a 45cal copper brush and cloth type brush. Let's see :)
    hijack on... what are you having done to you gun ?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast