Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Licensing a barrel.

If I buy a rifle barrel, with the idea of later fitting this barrel to a rifle I already own in a different caliber, what is the licensing procedure. Obviously, I will need to apply for a license for the new barrel but can I then just have that barrel fitted to my existing action and use it?

There are rifles available with more than one barrel (Blaser, Mauser m03 etc), would the same rule apply to a normal bolt action with two barrels?

User

Default Re: Licensing a barrel.

Following.

Also what happens if the barrel has no serial no

User

AFAIK you can licence the barrel, card states it as such(so doesn't say rifle or cartridge)
    Still have to apply for barrel/calibre change on the old rifle and change of details on the licence, in order that serial nr of old action plus new barrel serial number match details on licence.

AFAIK, switch barrel guns need separate licence per barrel, matched to cartridge and action serial number.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Following.

Also what happens if the barrel has no serial no
    New barrel is supposed to have serial number. Loopholes/potential problems can arise, my Musgrave has a serial nr on the barrel, not action, while my Howas have nr on action only. AFAIK this is in line with FCA requirements, but can become a problem when using these as basis for a new build.

User

Exactly my problem. Custom barrel ships without a serial, will ask the manufacturer if they can do it before shipping

User

Exactly my problem. Custom barrel ships without a serial, will ask the manufacturer if they can do it before shipping
    Section 23 covers this. Registrar can also allocate identification mark(serial nr) to unmarked part/firearm.
    I am sure it will be a lot easier to have manufacturer mark it, than to get it sorted by SAPS.

User

That us the best way. Years ago while licencing my .22 rifle, Saps found out there is another number like mine on their system and somebody somewhere corrected the problem by hammering a new WR number on the barrel and his aim was not very true and I am sitting with a skewe number. But alas it gives the rifle character.

User

So, is it possible to license a barrel blank? That would make caliber changes a breeze.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    So, is it possible to license a barrel blank? That would make caliber changes a breeze.
    Doesn't change the effort/paperwork required for barrel/calibre change. It only allows you to buy a barrel and store it in your safe.

Hi,

Generally the barrel will come as a steel blank without any hole down the middle. Seldom does the individual buy the blank as it is more expensive to buy in smaller quantities. At this stage it is a piece of steel and not a barrel. Barrel steels are use for multiple other applications.

Assuming you have a piece of barrel steel in you possession, this will be given to the gunsmith who will do what he needs to do and will assign a barrel number to the finished product. The gunsmith will register the barrel, calibre and serial number with the CFR so there is record of it. At this point you will apply to have the licenced barrel registered in your name and the normal process then takes its course of action.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast