Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Licensing a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Hi,

Generally the barrel will come as a steel blank without any hole down the middle. Seldom does the individual buy the blank as it is more expensive to buy in smaller quantities. At this stage it is a piece of steel and not a barrel. Barrel steels are use for multiple other applications.

Assuming you have a piece of barrel steel in you possession, this will be given to the gunsmith who will do what he needs to do and will assign a barrel number to the finished product. The gunsmith will register the barrel, calibre and serial number with the CFR so there is record of it. At this point you will apply to have the licenced barrel registered in your name and the normal process then takes its course of action.
    Andrew, is correct. When a private person ( not a company, other rules) import a barrel from another country , you complete a permanent import document , provide the details of the barrel, action, or rifle...all this info will be on a SAPS 520 , with a proof of purchase, and motivation why you want to import a barrel, what you will use it for. This is then handled as a normal application like you do for your license..ask the DFO to register the application, then take the application and send it directly to CFR/ Central Fire-arms register office at the Importing office ...they sit every Friday to consider all applications to import....if your motivation is good enough I believe you will get the permanent import permit for your barrel/action/rifle.. if you can manage to get the company abroad stamp a number on as a serial number it would be easier since the DFO has to enter a serial/barrel number when he/she register your application via the electronic system in the office...sending your completed application there-after to the CFR just makes the process faster..

This is step one -Importing a rifle barrel by yourself...

Step two
    Will be licencing the imported barrel /application to change the caliber of the current rifle using your imported barrel.
    Or apply for registering your imported barrel at CFR...
    Will keep you up to date with this process as I am making progress, maybe we can learn from this process and assist each other..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    If I buy a rifle barrel, with the idea of later fitting this barrel to a rifle I already own in a different caliber, what is the licensing procedure. Obviously, I will need to apply for a license for the new barrel but can I then just have that barrel fitted to my existing action and use it?
    Really? I had no idea that ZA had sunk to such a ridiculous level as to license barrels. What's next? Licensing triggers, butt plates, slings, ramrods??

I feel sorry for you but wonder why you would comply in the first place.
    This is not meant to demean any ZA hunter or shooter just to express my amazement that a government could get so restrictive. Better bury your guns before they are outlawed completely because that is what the politicians are aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    Really? I had no idea that ZA had sunk to such a ridiculous level as to license barrels. What's next? Licensing triggers, butt plates, slings, ramrods??

This is not meant to demean any ZA hunter or shooter just to express my amazement that a government could get so restrictive. Better bury your guns before they are outlawed completely because that is what the politicians are aiming for.
    In some US states, there is a requirement to license suppressors. We don't have to license suppressors.

User

And we can have more than 10 rounds in our magazines.

Across the country :P

Banned

I would like to find a compo shooter that uses a lot of barrels(top end guys), I heard that some of these guys have like 3/4 spare barrels - would like to know how they do it. They do not wait a few months before getting a much needed barrel, they have them on stock personally owned. This tells me there is a way and we do not know about it.
    when we built our .458 2 inch rifles we bought barrels locally and paid for them - they were sent to Gunsmith of our choice - they were stamped before posting. The g/smith did all the paperwork which was pretty much same as new licence application but took twice as long. The longer period was because g/smith had to apply for permission to build before proceeding.
    I received calls from central registrar for about 3 years after build asking silly questions - have I got weapon yet - has it been built yet - they appeared to know nothing ??.

User

And we can own Roni and family and short barreled rifles and shotguns.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    In some US states, there is a requirement to license suppressors. We don't have to license suppressors.
    Actually, it is a federal license that is a leftover from the NFA act of 1938. The same law that made licensing automatic weapons and short-barreled rifles and shotguns mandatory.

Yes, we have restrictions (most of them are attempts to outlaw guns) but the firearm is classified as the receiver only. Barrels, bolts, and other gun parts are not considered (except maybe the wacko states of California, NY, New Jersey and Massachusetts). Plus our non-NFA firearms are NOT registered. In fact, it is against the law for an agency to have files of guns and their owners with the NFA exception.

We are very aware here in the US of the overall attempts of the anti-gun lobby and the liberal politicians to keep attempting to add restrictions with the ultimate goal of banning firearms. Every extra step is another nail in the coffin. With the licensing of barrels in ZA I see the same thing.

User

The documentation to acquire a barrel, action or fire arm is available to any person who wants to import or export it..nothing new, start the process , go through all the procedures....Every application document you need is on the SAPS system..just make use of it .

User

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post

Patocazador, yes, you are correct. It really would have been more convenient if the licencing process was hunter friendly. All is not doom and gloom, the courts at this stage are the balance between the licencing process and the hunter/gun owner/sport shooter. Maybe the biggest drawback in regards to the licencing process is the lack of knowledge and politics from the SAPS side.
    Still at this stage I still get my licences I applied for and need to mention I have a great DFO on this side who really assist me in the licencing process...

User

Bonedoc and Andrew Leigh,
    As I understand it, if we buy a barrel "blank" here in SA, the rifling is already in the "blank", but it still has to be chambered for a specific cartridge/calibre. e.g. the gun shop has a 6.5 barrel with a certain twist that is unchambered so the buyer can then choose to have whatever chamber dimension he wants, be it in our example of 6.5 barrel, 6.5x55, 6.5 CM., 264 WM, 6.5x54 etc etc.
    Seeing that if bought from the GS at that stage, in an unchambered state, it has no calibre yet, is it possible to buy the barrel without a licence and store it until you need to put the rifle together.
    In other words, if it has not yet been chambered, can it be regarded as a "barrel" that needs to be licenced or is it just a lump of steel with a hole down the middle. Without having any official "calibre" at this unchambered stage, can it be bought over the counter, and if not, why not? After all it could have been bought for the purpose of a muzzle loading firearm (or even an airgun) which would not require a licence; what is the current prevailing legal attitude here?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast