Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Re-barreling and re-organizing.

I have been given a rifle barrel, I can choose the caliber. This is an ideal opportunity to re-organize my hunting rifle battery. Currently I own a 6.5x55, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a 7x57, a .300 win mag and a .303. The Creedmoor has a heavy barrel, the others are all normal sporters. I have decided to get rid of the .303, it is going back to its previous owner, as soon as he gets dedicated status.

The creedmoor is brand new (in fact I am still waiting for the license card) so it will stay as is and the 7x57 is my wife's rifle so it is untouchable. This leaves me either the 6.5x55 or the .300 win mag to re-barrel. I want a medium caliber which is legal for buffalo, in most countries both the 9.3 and the .375 are. My initial idea was to re-barrel the .300 to a .375 (either Ruger or H&H), however, between the .300 and the 6.5 Swede I'd rather have the .300 win mag. Another option would be to re-barrel the Swede to 9.3x62. Re-barreling the Swede to .375 would require opening the bolt face and probably some other work, will this be feasible?

User

Default Re: Re-barreling and re-organizing.

Your magazine probably would also need some work. I would go the 6.5 to 9.3 route.

User

Why the need for the DG stuff?
    Are you guys getting buff?

User

Lus is niemand se speelmaat nie... not overall the worst conundrum you find yourself in, enjoy mind-buying all the different options and mind-hunting with each of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Why the need for the DG stuff?
    Are you guys getting buff?
    We have a few buff. I have now on three occasions, while hunting kudu in the riverine bush next to the Orange River, bumped into buffalo, each time at <20m. We backed away each time without any problem, but a .300 win mag feels a little small when this happens.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    We have a few buff. I have now on three occasions, while hunting kudu in the riverine bush next to the Orange River, bumped into buffalo, each time at <20m. We backed away each time without any problem, but a .300 win mag feels a little small when this happens.
    Get a 338.
    Its more suited to your environment than the 375 will ever be.
    Plus, with its SD, there is no difference to 375 when penetration is needed.

Leave a big gun as a project gun, like a 416 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Lus is niemand se speelmaat nie... not overall the worst conundrum you find yourself in, enjoy mind-buying all the different options and mind-hunting with each of them!

User

What action is the Swede built on? Is the stock configuration suitable to a DG calibre?

User

No alterations in length and bolt face would suggest a 9.3 variety being the logical choice.

If legalities are set aside it's a good choice. As is a 338wm however you will need to enlarge the bolt face.

I've carried a 338wm in many up and close places and encounters and felt very comfortable with modern bullets loaded ( currently Woodleigh 300grn solids).

At a legal side cover your butt and get a 375 of some sort and up if that's the case.

Always nice to have a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    What action is the Swede built on? Is the stock configuration suitable to a DG calibre?
    The Swede and the .300 win mag are both Howa 1500's. The stock on the Swede is a Hogue, which I think will work well enough. I realise that push feed actions are not the first choice for a dangerous game rifle, however, I have hunted more than a 1 000 animals with the Swede and have never experienced any failures to feed, extract or eject.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast