Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Re-barreling and re-organizing.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The Swede and the .300 win mag are both Howa 1500's. The stock on the Swede is a Hogue, which I think will work well enough. I realise that push feed actions are not the first choice for a dangerous game rifle, however, I have hunted more than a 1 000 animals with the Swede and have never experienced any failures to feed, extract or eject.
    A simple rebarreling to 9,3x62 would be the cheapest route, as stated be others.

I have no animosity towards push-feed actions, and own a few of them. The advantage of a controlled feed does not lie in reliability under normal conditions, but in the fact that it helps to prevent a double-feed when short-stroking the action under severe stress, such as when you are getting, or are about to be, tossed or trampled by an irate quarry.

My first choice choice for a medium calibre DG rifle would be a CZ 550 Magnum with straight (standard) stock in 375 H&H. While this may cost more, it will also retain it's (resale) value better than any rebarreled Howa.

There are other viable options. If you can find a Howa in 375 Ruger, that should do the job well too. I would hate stripping a perfectly useable 6,5 x 55 rifle and building a DG rifle on the action. Unless the 6,5 barrel is shot out.

User

I'm with A-R on this - find a Howa .375 Ruger quickly, Howa have apparently stopped buildng them. I use a Ruger L/H 77 African in the Ruger caliber and it is awesome in the standard length action.

Eish.

You have enough gun for your current hunting requirements so in a sense this a "toy" with the advantage of being Buff insurance.

What about a .404 Jeffery's, somehow this calibre has come back into it's own, has a great pedigree, delivers great large bore performance with acceptable recoil.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Thanks for all the advice.

Andrew, the reason I was thinking about a .375 or a 9.3mm is that I can use either of these calibers for general antelope and hog hunting out to at least 250m, with a bullet that can be used to reliably kill a buffalo. It won't be a toy as such, more a rifle that I can carry for backing clients on antelope hunts and still have the ability to deal with a buffalo.

I will rather carry a lighter caliber with which I have hunted regularly and have used on moving targets (wounded animals) than a more powerful rifle that I rarely shoot, and probably won't have with me when I need it.

User

I am a big fan of the 375 H&H
    Truth be told, if I was only allowed 1 rifle, it would be my 375.
    Choose which one will suit your needs best, H&H or Ruger and you won't be sorry
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Lets for example say you go with a 375.

What bullets would you use?

I mean you can select something in the 250-260gr range, which shoots a little flatter, but then it's not a buff combo anymore.
    Or you will use a premium in the 300gr range, but then it's really not a plains caliber anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    I am a big fan of the 375 H&H. Truth be told, if I was only allowed 1 rifle, it would be my 375.
    ^^^ this. Would not even need to think twice if only one rifle was the option.

For what its worth my .375 with 300gr Accubonds has a trajectory out to 250m very close to my 30-06 with 180gr Accubonds so very convenient. You can also get the .375 much flatter with lighter mono's.

Would the decider not be the generally accepted fact that the .375 enjoys more acceptance as a DG calibre than the 9.3?

I would use a 300gr Barnes TSX at ±2500 fps. It should be good to ±250m. Good enough for 90% of our hunting and with all the penetration you need.

Good luck with your choices.

User

I would convert that winmag to 338WM.

Arguably the most underrated cartridge. 180gr Barnes rockets in the 338 or 300gr woodleighs.

If you change the swede to 9.3, you will only have a low and slow rifle, and the .300. But having the 6.5 and the 338 is a better battery lineup. Something lite and something heavy vs heavy and heavy

Get a dedicated buff gun later.

With the 338 you will still have a 300wm, just with more punch and options. That 338 barks with authority

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast