Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Shim kit or higher mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

So if I understand you correctly; no damage can be done when shooting like it is right now?
    I have put some thread lock on the threads, so im am confident that nothing will move or loosen up untill I have the higher rings.

My biggest worry is about damaging something.. if it is ok, then I can buy the higher rings end of next moth. And carry on shooting with the setup as is.

I managed to pass a very thin cloth, without any force, between the barrel and scope. But yes, it is not ideal, and not just any cloth will fit there..
    Yes. It is safe.

I like to mark my scopes with correction fluid (Tipp Ex) right where they sit in the rings. This will show me when the scope has moved in the rings and will allow me to return it to the same position if I have to remove it. You could consider this, as some scope movement in the rings could result in damage. Not that Warne rings are likely to slip.

If your scope's eye relief is a problem with the current rings, you might consider shortening the stock by swapping the recoil pad for a thinner one.

Also keep in mind that your cheek weld, (the way your cheek fits to the comb of the stock) is more important than many other things. Adapt the comb of the stock to fit the scope height, or vice versa, for best shooting results.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Yes. It is safe.

I like to mark my scopes with correction fluid (Tipp Ex) right where they sit in the rings. This will show me when the scope has moved in the rings and will allow me to return it to the same position if I have to remove it. You could consider this, as some scope movement in the rings could result in damage. Not that Warne rings are likely to slip.

If your scope's eye relief is a problem with the current rings, you might consider shortening the stock by swapping the recoil pad for a thinner one.

Also keep in mind that your cheek weld, (the way your cheek fits to the comb of the stock) is more important than many other things. Adapt the comb of the stock to fit the scope height, or vice versa, for best shooting results.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice and info.

I will probably get the higher scope rings to correct eye relief as the scope is set quite a bit forward to clear the barrel. Also add an adjustable cheek weld for correct line up.

The rifle will mainly be used from the bakkie, in a shooting chair or bi-pod for vermin control.

User

User

For a test to see if it might touch your scope: if there is enough space you can stick a piece of masking on the scope or barrel and you will clearly see a mark on the tape when you remove the tape after a couple of shots. What is the thickness of masking tape? You'll know there is at least that size gap if there is no mark on the tape.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2