Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default What is the shortest 5.56/223 AR15 that will make factor for SAPSA?

As per the title what is the shortest length AR15 barrel that will comfortably make factor for SAPSA shoots?

Next question, who's got stock of that length? (not interested in Norinco)

Default Re: What is the shortest 5.56/223 AR15 that will make factor for SAPSA?

I know the 10.5" factors just fine (PMP ammo). The 10.5" handles lovely, can feel the difference in terms of mobility versus the longer barrel AR's.

If you go shorter (7") i think you will have more of a challenge making factor (but probably not impossible with the correct reload), and then with the 7" i think there are some trade offs in terms of muzzle blast, reliability etc.

User

If you want to be competitive, you would be better served with a rifle that has a longer barrel and a rifle length gas system.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    If you want to be competitive, you would be better served with a rifle that has a longer barrel and a rifle length gas system.
    Thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Surely the majority of competitors these days would have a carbine length or mid length gas system?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Surely the majority of competitors these days would have a carbine length or mid length gas system?
    I don’t know what the majority are doing. The top guys mostly shoot rifle length gas systems.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    The majority do but that is because most AR companies offer those from budget rifles to high end and not because it is the preferred option

What you want is a rifle length gas system with an 18" barrel. This makes is very soft shooting although some say it does come with a bit of a maneuverability problem in tight spaces. I personally dont have an issue with this.

User

I wouldnt put short barreled AR's in the same sentence as sport. Although fun and maybe fine for something like DMG, I dont see a place for them if you want to properly compete.

Also, no RO wants to stand next to the tactical timmy with a 10.5" gun, a loud comp and some hot military ammo.

All that being said, I still want one....because reasons

User

Ok so can anyone else confirm that a 10.5" barrel will make factor? Intended purpose for this rifle will be mostly club shoots but will second as a bakkie gun on the farm. It's to get a suppressor and RDS. That's the idea anyway.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Ok so can anyone else confirm that a 10.5" barrel will make factor? Intended purpose for this rifle will be mostly club shoots but will second as a bakkie gun on the farm. It's to get a suppressor and RDS. That's the idea anyway.
    By the time you have added (larded up with) a suppressor you will have a heavier, clumsier rifle than an unsuppressed 14 or 16 inch rifle. It will also be more expensive, with more back pressure, and more extraction issues than a standard 16 or 14 inch rifle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast