Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Dealers stock and 350 form

It's a major issue as of November when SAPS stopped taking apps with the relevant 350's attached (ironically, the dealers started attaching the 350's in order to help SAPS as they seem to have issues processing 350's). Dealers are all very frustrated, the point was raised once again at the Western Cape dealers meeting last week to no avail and no solution going forward. The only way is to repeatedly send the 350's until it is finally processed. This also unfortunately places a lot of pressure on DFO's as they now have to check the same lists of serial numbers weekly for the dealers until there is assurance that the guns are transfered. At this stage everyone is playing the blame game, but rest assured that most dealers are compliant and sending off the required paperwork for any firearms that are received within the stipulated time period (within 1 week of receipt of the gun) as outlined in the dealers license conditions.

Don’t pay for a firearm from a dealer until you know for certain that the firearm is registered to that dealer on the CFR system. The dealer can get a SAPS printout showing all firearms in their registered stock, if your particular serial number doesn’t appear on the list then don’t complain if you have to wait before you can apply for a license.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    When the dealer receives stock they submit to SAPS on a 350.However CFR drags their feet in doing these transfers over to the dealer.
    The CFR has no role to play in transferring the firearms. The dealers do the transfers physical, from one to the other, and then submit reports reflecting the transfer to CFR. The CFR merely has to update their database to reflect the transfers which the dealers have done.

If a dealer gives you a 271 (Application for Licence) it means the firearm is physically and legally in his stock, and he is entitled to sell it to you.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

If cfr has no role to play, then they shouldn’t disallow applications for firearms that don’t reflect properly on the dealer stock. Yet, here we are...

User

I attached the SAPS 350 that was submitted by the dealer. Thete were a number of weapons in the estate so I just highlighted the one in question for them. A friend of mine bought another weapon from the same estate, and CFR captured the whole SAPS 350 and not just my weapon. It took a long time, but at least it got done.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher View Post
    Don’t pay for a firearm from a dealer until you know for certain that the firearm is registered to that dealer on the CFR system. The dealer can get a SAPS printout showing all firearms in their registered stock, if your particular serial number doesn’t appear on the list then don’t complain if you have to wait before you can apply for a license.
    Que the closure of many gunshops due to no income as a result of a broken system over which dealers have no control.

User

The issue I had with the whole process was that the gun shop still charges storage fees. DFO says gun shop must contact CFR, gun shop says their hands are tied (which I believe as they have already submitted all documentation required of them). I think in my instance I dealt with an ethical gun shop that really tried their best. However, I think there will be some very upset customers that have to pay storage fees (where applicable as in my case) when dealing with gun shops that don't follow up regularly with CFR or have the luck of having it caotured by emailing/contacting CFR.

User

This is truly out of the gunshops’ hands. It’s just another way of CFR trying to slow down the process and discourage people from licensing more firearms.

We recently had a client that wanted a Daniel Defense, which we bought in from Hailstorm for him. The rifle reached us on 12 December and the 350A & 350B were submitted the same day. Even with us checking daily and resubmitting the forms multiple times it was only processed on 13 March. That poor client had to wait all that time and we could really not do anything to help, except spit in one hand and wish in the other.

The blame lies with CFR, not the firearm industry.

User

The above is but one example. We have barrels and rifles that we imported in 2016 that CFR has still not recorded as on our stock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2