Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Hate Speech Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Gents, as a suggestion: when legacy/archived articles are referenced and posted, please consider marking them as such. It would be good to be able to easily differentiate between current and past events, without having to resort to searching the post for a publish date.
    Good suggestion Pirate.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/New...court-20180403

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Anti-white slur case heads for Equality Court

05:22 03/04/2018 Tammy Petersen

A racist rant involving a black man, who called for white people to be subjected to what "Hitler did to the Jews", is to be heard in the Equality Court, sitting in the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg, in April.
    Judge Roland Surtherland is expected to hear the case against Velaphi Khumalo, according to confirmation the SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) had sent to the complainant, Daniel Amos.
    A case of crimen injuria was opened against Khumalo and 19 complaints were lodged at the SAHRC.
    Khumalo posted the comment on Facebook in January 2016 after former estate agent Penny Sparrow had referred to black people as monkeys in a complaint over litter on the beach.
    He wrote: "I want to cleans this country of all white people. we must act as Hitler did to the Jews. I don't believe any more that the is a large number of not so racist whit people. I'm starting to be sceptical even of those within our Movement the ANC. I will from today unfriend all white people I have as friends from today u must be put under the same blanket as any other racist white because secretly u all are a bunch of racist fuck heads. as we have already seen [sic]."
    In July 2016, the SAHRC confirmed it was preparing to take Khumalo to court for alleged hate speech, saying it had consolidated all the individual matters and registered a new complaint against him in the name of the SAHRC.
    On Thursday Amos said that, if Khumalo was found guilty, he hoped Khumalo would receive a similar sentence to the one imposed on Vicki Momberg.
    READ: Momberg sentencing 'will act as a deterrent to other racists' - Kathrada foundation
    The former estate agent was sentenced in the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Wednesday to three years in prison, of which one year was suspended.
    Momberg was convicted of four counts of crimen injuria on November 3 in connection with her rant, which started when she lashed out at a black police officer who had helped her after an alleged smash-and-grab incident in Northriding, Johannesburg.

"I would hope [Khumalo would get a similar sentence] as it would show equality in our system," Amos told News24.
    "It would be very [unfair] to give one such a punishment and the other not, based on their skin colour."
    He believed the punishment was just, because "we have no place in SA for such thoughts".
    "It set a fantastic precedent. You can't change someone's mentality, but you can prevent them from inflicting such pain on others."
    Khumalo worked for the Gauteng government and the provincial Department of Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation distanced itself from him, calling the post "barbaric".
    He was suspended with pay and subjected to a disciplinary hearing, where he was charged for misconduct.
    Last year, the department said he had pleaded guilty and committed himself to corrective measures, which included counselling. He was given a final warning by the disciplinary panel and went back to work as a sports promoter, tasked with encouraging the province to be active.
    Last edited by camouflage762; 03-04-2018 at 07:50.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Slap on the wrist or stiff sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Slap on the wrist or stiff sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree. But I have to add Momberg was pretty dumb. Not only did she go on a rant ON CAMERA (which always makes everything twice as bad), but she was quite unrepentant afterwards. Her own character witness from work also called her a dangerous racist lunatic (iirc) so, yeah, there's also that.

What Khumalo said was objectively far worse and he doesn't even have the excuse of just having been mugged. But, if he says that he is really sorry and acts all apologetic, I personally believe that he might get off with a much lighter sentence. A bit of grovelling will take you far nowadays.

Thanks guys. Let's try to keep the commentary fairly thin on this thread.

Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Thanks guys. Let's try to keep the commentary fairly thin on this thread.

Agreed. can get you in hot water

User

I wonder how many apologies are sincere these days or are only played when a get out of jail card is needed. Political hate speach is a prime example where the apologies seems to be made without the words having left the perpetrators’ lips.

User

I apologize if this is a deviation from this thread, but I feel there is a connection.

A friend of mine was arrested by the police and nearly spent the Easter weekend in jail. His crime? He got pulled over for alleged speeding, and after arguing what the speed limit was the cops said they would go to where the speed limit sign was to see who was right. Once they got there, they jeered and howled at them, and in response he gave them the Joburg salute and drove off. They chased him down and pulled him off the road, stating that "that white bitch Momberg got sent to jail, you will too" (or something like that).

Not defending what Momberg did in the least but I am worried cops will use this incident to abuse their power and harass motorists, under the threat of jailing them for not putting up with their shit (or worse refusing to pay them bribes).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    I apologize if this is a deviation from this thread, but I feel there is a connection.

A friend of mine was arrested by the police and nearly spent the Easter weekend in jail. His crime? He got pulled over for alleged speeding, and after arguing what the speed limit was the cops said they would go to where the speed limit sign was to see who was right. Once they got there, they jeered and howled at them, and in response he gave them the Joburg salute and drove off. They chased him down and pulled him off the road, stating that "that white vitch Momber got sent to jail, you will too" (or something like that).

Not defending what Momberg did in the least but I am worried cops will use this incident to abuse their power and harass motorists, under the threat of jailing them for not putting up with their shit (or worse refusing to pay them bribes).
    This was one of my fears after the Momberg sentencing. That little cluster fuck is going to cause massive issues for all of us, in future.

User

best thing about momberg is that a precedent has been set

now if people are taking to court regardless of colour, the courts are under pressure to act equally

no more wrap on the knuckles because of affiliation

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast