Default 416 Win Mag without Iron Sights

Morning Guys.
    I have just received my license for a 416 Win Mag(bought 2nd hand) and I have been putting a few shots down Range. The rifle was built for a customer,it’s not custom but the previous owner opted against putting iron sights on the barrel. It’s fitted with a scope. I have scopes on my other two hunting rifles but I’m not so keen on having a scope on my 416. How difficult is it to have iron sights fitted to a “smooth” barrel. It will be used for guiding. I have my ARH assessment coming up in two weeks,not that I want it done before then but the scope does bug me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

Default Re: 416 Win Mag without Iron Sights

Any good gunsmith will be able to fit open sights, I have no idea of the cost. Consider mounting a good red dot sight on it, it will be easier if a bit more expensive. It is probably a .416 rem mag, even if the rifle is a Winchester.

Sorry,yes you right TStone. It is a Rem Mag. A red dot is a interesting idea. Would the daily use/slight abuse not damage the Red dot? I’m looking for something completely reliable.

User

Open sights would be the best bet, but an RMR mounted in the receiver would also be great, and possibly make it faster to use in an emergency as it's quick to pick up the red dot.
    Scopes are not ideal for a guiding rifle where close range shots may be required
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Where are you based? There's not a gunsmith in the country who will give you 2 weeks turnaround on fitting iron sights. There are a few guides using red dots but they are more fragile, ie. easier to bump out of zero, than good iron sights. If you are in, or can get to, Jhb you can do your ARH assessment with us using our BRNO/CZs in .375H&H or .458Win/Lott.
    PM me in need

Just outside Pietermaritzburg in KZN but will be based in Zululand.

User

We will be doing some work with ANT in the next few weeks so an option is to contact Lorraine and see if you can slot in with her students.

User

If your arh is around Pmb / durbz then you can use my cz 375, pm me.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

A ghost ring would probably work well for your needs. Any comment Pete?

User

Sorry Rick - been away
    Sort of. A ghost ring is more accurate but open V seems quicker and one's peripheral vision is better. Longest shot in ARH is 12m so fine accuracy is not really needed.