Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grand Power Stribog Carbine

Hi... anyone have any experience with these carbines from Grand Power? Does anyone stock them locally?
    Looking forward to some feedback.
    tx

User

Default Re: Grand Power Stribog Carbine

MRST are the agents. They did have them in stock early last month .

User

I finger banged one at Cecil Payne the other day. Nice gun, looks good, I like the controls and it fits me well but unable to take Glock mags.

Banned

I handled one at Ihawu in Pinetown a few months ago.
    Not bad. Nice and compact, light as well.
    Price is around 18k IIRC. Mags are available from MRST for around R500
    But there wasn't much user info or reviews on YouTube or the net for that matter.
    I settled for a known quantity, a Cz Scorpion

User

I bit the bullet and got myself the SR9A2- Recently got my card so very limited time on it.

So far so good.
    The Striborg's built quality seems good (inside and out) and it is fully ambi for those who are not right (handed)
    It comes with a somewhat decent plastic carry case - I think it's still a great add-on.

It has currently only seen 60 rounds so far, but with no issues or failures as yet.
    I more solid verdict will only be achieved once there is about 200-500+ rounds though it.

50 S&B factory rounds and 10 of my own reloads just a feeler.
    It cycled my reloads with no issue (147Gr CMJ, 29.3mm with MS200 3.4gr) and has noticeably a lot less recoil compared to the factory rounds.
    My chrony's battery was dying so my measured velocities were questionable.

My comment on some features:

The grip:
    The grip handle's stippling seems to be quite hard on my hand (This coming from someone that shoots IDPA with a G34 Gen3 RTF frame).
    I can only imagine doing a match of 100+ rounds will be hard - but without trying, I will reserve judgement.

On the front of the receiver I opted to install a Magpul AFG2 (Angled Fore Grip) right off the start.
    My reasoning for this is partially personal preference but also due to the location of the reciprocating charging handle.
    Out of the box the charging handle does sit on the left hand side but can be moved. I have gone with that route right from the start.
    Being a righty and with the handle on the left of the receiver seems like more likely to be in the way for me.
    Swopping the charging handle is quite simple.

Magazine doesn't fall freely
    As said, I am yet to do a match but the magazine doesn't fall freely when ejected.
    I am led to believe this might be by design. If it will wear 'in' or not, time will tell.
    Perhaps it is possible to make a modification to work around this - I still need to investigate.

Weight
    The few people that have handled mine all seem to comment on the weight - As on, that it feels light to them.
    Not having a proper scale, I plunged onto my bathroom scale with and without the Striborg. Did the calculation and it seems to indicate it's weight at 3.1Kg .

That is my 2c currently with the limited time on it.

I hope to shoot an IDPA match soon and come back with more.
    Last edited by seamonster; 03-04-2018 at 07:55. Reason: typo

The Striborg is a robust and reliable platform. It's easy to strip and even the bolt handle can be changed from left to right side, making it 100% ambi. It's flush fitting flip-up sights are great backups, however most will opt for a RDS on top. It has a built in strap loop on the back of the receiver and it can be harnessed across body or under-arm (folded). For gaming it's great, for security companies who want to run 9mm across their operation it's viable too. It can even be shot reliably before deploying the folding handle in an emergency.
    I've run one with a 3x magnifier (Vortex) and it gets nice consistent hits at 100m. It will put a smile on anyone's face who shoots it at the range and it will be up for most types of 9mm ammo you can throw at including good reloads.

Tx for the replies.
    @seamonster.... please keep us posted on your experiences. I think there will be alot of interest in what you have to say on this one from a practical perspective.

User

Just seen a ShotShow2018 clip stating that the A3 version will have a non-reciprocating charging handle...a delayed blowback version.

Maybe we could hear (or see) more of the above at Huntex.
    Wink-wink MRST😉

@seamonster.... any update you can provide on your STribog experience?

User

Hi Armed,

So my initial event I wanted to partake in never happened...
    But I have been able to put about 200 rounds through her since without a single failure.

The past weekend I was at JDPC's club shoot.
    The only changes I have made has been to swap the reciprocating charging handle to the RHS, and added a Magpul AFG-2 (Angled fore grip) and Shield mini reflex (red dot) sight.

This was the first time I actually "ran" the firearm properly.
    Since it is still being run-in, I decided to stick to factor S&B rounds.
    It only being a club event, I only did about 75 rounds for the day over 5 stages.
    There was also no mag changes as there was no round limit/cap set for PCC on the day.

I did not have a single failure or issue. I managed to run the event with only 9 points down for the day and the fastest overall time (not really a fair comparison - However I have seen the top 2 handgun shooters beat PCC shooters before).

The standard stage for the day consisting of Jeff Copper's el presidente drill forced me to test the reloads.
    Not having a mag carrier as yet, I stowed in my pocket.
    The result was the mag setting to far into my pocket and doing a bit of "word play" and dancing.
    The reload was slow as a result (I was also slow - new firearm and no prior practice).
    Being forced to pull the mag out (as it doesn't fall freely) doesn't seem to really hamper performance to badly, but I would still like a work around for this.

I managed to finish the drill in 14 odd seconds (6th fastest of the day out of about 60 competitors overall)

I tried to upload a video of my antics on the JDPC FaceBook page for those interested:
    https://www.facebook.com/shaun.haven...525370430/?t=0

Optics here obviously play a big role. Finding the sight and target is an absolute breeze.
    However, my setup has the F/A shooting a tad bit low at <15m but spot on at 25m.
    To me, it's marginal. I don't adjust my point of aim - Keep in mind my experience is "limited".

On Target also did a write up for those interested and who haven't seen the magazine yet (I was not affiliated).

I have had a few other people also handle and fire off some rounds - all seem to be equally pleased for what it's worth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast