Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Colt Officers MK IV Series 80 Firing Pin Stop Plate slides out

Hi guys

My Dad's EDC is a Colt Officers model. We went shooting recently and I noted during in between shots that the firing pin stop plate slides out and partially over the rear of the firing pin.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect / hope the culprit to be only the firing pin spring that needs to be replaced.

Would like to hear your opinions / experiences on this please? Will of course take to gunsmith if necessary.

User

Default Re: Colt Officers MK IV Series 80 Firing Pin Stop Plate slides out

Sounds like the spring isn't stiff enough to hold the plate in place anymore. If I understand the problem correctly, this would render the gun useless? Could be very dangerous, and it's supposed to be a very quick and cheap fix.

If its a Roll pin your talking about. Cant you just get slightly larger roll pin and put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Sounds like the spring isn't stiff enough to hold the plate in place anymore. If I understand the problem correctly, this would render the gun useless? Could be very dangerous, and it's supposed to be a very quick and cheap fix.
    Exactly my thoughts Toxxyc. And yes, it would render the gun useless. Will start with the spring and take it from there. If that's the problem should be easy enough to fix.

I suppose it will take a standard 1911 Government model type firing spring...?
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    If its a Roll pin your talking about. Cant you just get slightly larger roll pin and put it in.
    Thanks shooty. Will start with the spring, and consider other options from there on.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Gunsmith time.

User

There are NO roll pins in the Colt Mk IV 's. Your firing pin is either too short or has lost its tension. A new FP pin should sort out you problem.

User

Sorry,typing glitch,should read "FP spring". There is another possibility. You have the spring on the wrong way round. It should fit tightly at the back of the pin, that is, the pin and spring should come out as one unit.

Thanks Rick. Visited our local gunsmith yesterday. The original firing pin spring is stiffer than what they have in stock, so will be keeping that for now. He did give me what appears to be a Series 70 Government firing pin to try (compared it to the firing pin of a Series 70 Government model we have and looks the same) and it seems to fit. It is about 1mm longer than the one from the Officer's - not sure if the Officer's firing pin wore out / broke but we are going to try this soon on the range to see if it works.

User

To check for the correct FP lenght lock the slide back and use anything to make the back of the FP level with the FP retainer plate. The FP should not protrude past the breech face.(Inertial firing pin.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast