Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Personal costs order against Bopane

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    If you are not actually contributing anything to the organisation, then you don't have any right what so ever to complain about a single thing the organisation does.

Is this GOSA's position on this or just yours, because on this very thread we have Paul acknowledging an unpaid membership.

Also remember, if you are not an ANC member, please don't criticise anything the party does....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

As we become larger and larger (of our 37 000 members, only about 10% are paying members), our structures need more work to cater for those members, but concomitantly this allows us to grow faster and faster, so it's all good.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Is this GOSA's position on this or just yours, because on this very thread we have Paul acknowledging an unpaid membership.

Also remember, if you are not an ANC member, please don't criticise anything the party does....
    TBH, I feel like this is reaching a little.

Contribution is not defined in this thread so it's literally a matter of opinion until clarified. In this instance my opinion is that as a non paying member you are contributing to the membership numbers.

Contribution is contribution, it doesn't have to be monetary, time, or skills based.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post

Contribution is not defined in this thread so it's literally a matter of opinion until clarified. In this instance my opinion is that as a non paying member you are contributing to the membership numbers.

Contribution is contribution, it doesn't have to be monetary, time, or skills based.
    I'm not sure why you are quoting me, but this is exactly what I was alluding to.
    What I am understanding from Manservant's post, is that be a non-paid member so we can show a large membership base, but sit back and shut up.

User

I have a genuine question though: Why would you not be a paid member of GOSA? Granted, I’m pretty new to the gun scene, so I’ve not been privy to its start and whatever politics existed prior. But, from what I’ve seen is a crowd of gun enthusiasts that were getting frustrated by the CFR who maliciously create barriers to entry for gun ownership.

These enthusiasts formed a group of like minded individuals with the aim of taking said CFR on when the CFR themselves selectively apply the FCA to serve their own agendas. These enthusiasts mantra is to force the CFR to play by the rules by taking them to task.

Do I pretty much have the jist of it correct?

If so, I ask again why wouldn’t you want to support this cause? It’s potentially beneficial to all gun owners, even for members that don’t support the cause. But, as been said before, for such a cause to be in any way relevant, surely it needs some kind of funding model in order to pay for the various fees required to fight the cause in the courts.

As always, there would be naysayers who may not agree with the strategy being followed, for whatever reason. Maybe they feel they pay too much club fees elsewhere, or they don’t like one or two of the custodians for the cause, or they simply feel there’s no need for the cause to exist and would rather just not support it because there enough other suckers that do. I guess you can’t make everyone happy.

I guess gun support isn’t as fashionable to most people as they are to some. But, as I said earlier, in order for the cause to remain relevant it needs support. The individuals running such a cause most likely pour their hearts into this as, I would assume, they have a passion for it. And, as we all know, poohpoohing someone’s passion would bring out frustration; not an uncommon thing to have happen realistically. The guys are just people and they will likely not be impressed by negativity from others that don’t support their cause.

So, for the last time, as a gun owner, why would you not support GOSA? It’s in every gun owners best interest to do so, and for peanuts might I add.

I fully support the cause, albeit for selfish reasons: a large well funded group of passionate professionals can achieve so much more then little old me would be able to do against the ‘might’ of the CFR. Drop the ego and the sense of entitlement, it can be good if it’s supported properly.

Anyway, rant over.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post

This. There are people who contribute things other than money, and sometimes that is even more important. If a person literally contributes nothing, I consider any and all criticism from them as not worth my time to even bother with.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    I'm not sure why you are quoting me, but this is exactly what I was alluding to.
    What I am understanding from Manservant's post, is that be a non-paid member so we can show a large membership base, but sit back and shut up.
    Gleock, you are being like a dog with a bone. I went to some trouble earlier in this thread to express the official GOSA position.

From post#2 things went downhill for no real reason. People who need to be offended got offended. GOSA regrets this. This was not GOSA's position or intent.

Please stop. Stop trying to read more into this than what there is.

This is a political fight more than it is a legal one. People (numbers) are vital to our success. And then we work hard to convert those FaceBook Group (not a page, a group) members to paying members (a lot... more than a hundred a month via the magnificent pay-it-forward, sponsored ordinary membership initiative)...

In fact, whilst I'm on the subject... has anyone ever (EVER) seen something as truly fantastic as the sponsored membership initiative? I've been involved in organisations since before the foundation of SAGA, and I've never seen anything quite like it before.

A member (purely out of the goodness of their heart) wants to 'donate' cash to GOSA (in excess of their membership contribution), so they sponsor paid membership for others... to give them a leg up, so to speak.

One of our members has sponsored 50 (fifty) other ordinary (R100pa) memberships! This done without any wish for recognition... So, we regularly run sponsored membership giveaways. The intention is that those sponsored members (who might not have had the cash easily available for a multitude of reasons), in their turn, sponsor others... and we have had the first few of those already!

We have made mistakes as an organisation, to be sure... read my mea culpa on the GOSA FaceBook page re the renewal reminders that didn't go out on time (causing all sorts of unfortunate issues for some members), but we do a lot right.

Our Firearm Festivals are showcasing not just GOSA, not just the importers and their guns, but also the training industry (PFTC will have a free stand there to give them a platform to delve into issues directly with the public) and all sport-shooting codes (all that wanted to attend) will also have a free platform to demonstrate their codes to the public. There will be free legal discussions by our FDD and Martin Hood. In 2020 these Festivals will be running in every province of the country, in Kimberley, in PE, everywhere, on a one-a-month basis. This is not to make money (GOSA will be delighted if we can clean our faces), but to reach out to the public and the casual shooters.

These may not work out... but at least we're trying.

The only way to ensure you never make mistakes in life is never to try anything new. We're not scared of trying to make an impact and failing. The only thing we can guarantee is that we'll get up off the ground and try something else... until it works.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Banned

Accepting and apologizing for one's mistakes makes one a much better person.
    Well done Paul

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4