Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Personal costs order against Bopane

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post
    is it only me who thinks this is a 'facepalm' thread..?
    No you are not alone ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    I do want to add that to date SA HUNTERS have done more than GOSA, but that we as firearm community only benefit from another progun lobbying group.
    As with shares, previous performance dont predict the future- so GOSA might be the force to be with.
    As by MTTSS classification I find myself in group 3- I am already a member of SAPSA, SAAACA and SA HUNTERS, I think they do enough for gun rights and will spend my money with them.
    SAAACA and SAH have, but what has SAPSA done for us?

User

Out of curiosity what are the answers to the original OP? Did he pay?

Disclaimer: I signed up to GOSA last year AND am a member of SA Hunters ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Out of curiosity what are the answers to the original OP? Did he pay? Disclaimer: I signed up to GOSA last year AND am a member of SA Hunters ;)
    As a paying GOSA member, I would also like to know

User

Paraphrasing Paul's remark on another thread, these things can take up to 2 years to be finalized. I would not hold my breath. But I think we can safely accept that the matter WILL be persued futher.

Another lawsuit also got a personal cost order against someone at CFR in the same week. We should watch that one too.

And yes, you should all join GOSA and make your own small contribution. This is not in stead of supporting any other organisation, it is in addition to them. So far, GOSA is the only organisation who represents ALL legal fire arm owners, not specific interests like most others.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Out of curiosity what are the answers to the original OP? Did he pay?

Disclaimer: I signed up to GOSA last year AND am a member of SA Hunters ;)
    Hi Digby, thanks for joining and for not being a "roofkyker" :)

By way of background, the costs order is also against the chairman of the Appeals Board together with Brig. Bopape who refused the license in the first place. The State had to agree to this as a result of the strong case that we made out against these two individuals in the papers. So, they are both liable, and we will split the bill between them.

There were further developments in this matter in the meantime. After the State agreed to furnish the applicant with his license within 21 days, they turned around and indicated that they will not abide by that and blamed it on the allegation that they have shifted their responsibility to get the cards printed to the government printers. We then indicated to them that they are responsible for the timeous delivery of cards and that they cannot hide behind their agent for not fulfilling this function within the prescribed amount of time (90 days including delivery of card). We then placed them before an ultimatum to see to the delivery of the card within 24 hours, or else we would place the matter back on the roll and again ask for a punitive costs order. They have complied with our request and the card has been delivered to the DFO's office. This all happened in the past week, in other words the bill of costs has not been finalized yet, as we need to include the latest events in this bill. After the bill is finalized, it will be presented to the relevant respondents who can then either decide to accept it or dispute it. Chances are high that they will dispute it in order to buy themselves another year or two before the matter eventually gets allocated a date before the taxing master of the high court. (In the Dinokeng matter it took no less than 24 months before we eventually got paid - so until then GOSA, its lawyers, and Members were supporting the initiative for the benefit of the entire community). After taxation we will then issue warrants of execution against the relevant respondents for payment. So it is a long and frustrating process, but definitely worth it in the end. At this point in time we are already getting good cooperation from the two respondents with other matters that we on a daily basis engage with them on behalf of GOSA members. So it was worth it over and over again and we will do more of this whenever we get the chance.

Joining Gosa is not even expensive.

And when my app got stuck in Process for 75 days.
    One email from Gosa to CFR sorted it out in 15minutes.
    It was approved in 15 minutes if not 10 after Gosa sent email.

So well worth it.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Some of this thread makes me sad...

But:

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    And yes, you should all join GOSA and make your own small contribution. This is not in stead of supporting any other organisation, it is in addition to them. So far, GOSA is the only organisation who represents ALL legal fire arm owners, not specific interests like most others.
    GOSA is the only gun RIGHTS association in the country. Everyone else fights their corner (or not). At the end of the day we are about the gun... regardless of what it's for!

We do what we can given our limitations... and would do far more if our limitations were lifted (if there are any Billionaire's out there, on their deathbeds, with ne'er do well families and a hankering to bequeth us a fortune...).

At this stage we have taken on several legal challenges (on behalf of our members) where we have retained an interest (financial) in the positive outcome. So far none of these matters has been resolved to the point where GOSA can receive a return on our investment... these damned matters take forever to resolve and get payment (particularly from the State). This means we can still not capitalise on our investments... but that day will come, and we are anxious to see it come!

In the meantime all we can do is work on our organisation.

As we become larger and larger (of our 37 000 members, only about 10% are paying members), our structures need more work to cater for those members, but concomitantly this allows us to grow faster and faster, so it's all good.

Next weekend we embark on an exciting further development... the launch of our countrywide series of Firearms Festivals (this year we launch with the Gauteng Firearm Festival, then we participate in Doc Willie's Ellisras Firearm Festival in August, then in October/November we do a WC Firearm Festival... next year we run Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Sep, Nov, and 2010 we run 10... one in every province). This is taking gun rights out to the people. NOT catering to the top 1% who can come to Huntex, but a permanently rotating roadshow that visits every province on an annual basis.

And so we appeal to the masses. And mass appeal is the tool to win the political battle. Once the political battle is won we don't have to fight the legal battles.

But in the meantime, and for the foreseeable future we need to take on the legal battles. Help us, please.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Coming to WC. Brilliant. Finally someone remembered about the people who have the ocean and a flat mountain.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Coming to WC. Brilliant. Finally someone remembered about the people who have the ocean and a flat mountain.
    Must we bring our own water?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast