Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Take the shot ???

Here's one I scrubbed.....

Scenario: You've sat under a tree trying to get some of the patches of the shelter that it provides for the last three hours.
    The wind's kicked up and nothing is moving. Time for a cool drink, you're walking in!
    Well lookie there, fate has really smiled on you and dropped a heck of an opportunity right in your lap.

You're walking, a bit sweaty by now, skylined. Distance by best guess is 180 to 200m. Hard to estimate across the open field.
    This guy is on the other side of the field and he definitely isn't giving you time to pull a rangefinder out of your pack.
    Maybe a ranging reticle if you're so equipped.
    Wind 15-20 gusting higher, and swirling, mostly quartering towards you.
    Decent downslope probably 8%. Assume safe backstop. Sun is high up, so little concern about immediately losing blood traiI.
    Cons....
    You're a bit sweaty and uncomfortable from your walk, probably elevated pulse and heavy breathing.
    You're as surprised to see him as he is you, he just hasn't decided to bolt yet.
    This could be your buck of a lifetime, buck fever surely taking a toll
    He sees you, you're skylined, he's about to bolt. You're likely shooting this one offhand or hoping for better luck next time.
    DO YOU TAKE THE SHOT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Take the shot ???

Sure. You're going engine room when it's standing like that, so you're aiming for a large target. You know where the wind is coming from so you can compensate for it and ~200m isn't very far to hit that target offhand. 8% downslope means you're shooting downhill, so compensation for zero at that distance is minimal. I would say you compensate 1" for the wind (depending on the direction it's coming from) and you take the shot.

User

A lot of people would take that shot that shouldn't because they don't shoot out of hand enough. Personally I would see if i could drop onto one knee and brace my elbow onto my other knee and see how comfortable I am. Standing upright and shooting off-hand at 200m on a beauty like that...I would pass. There will be those who will take that shot accurately and consistently with ease.

User

With enough skill and practice, you will know wheither you can take the shot or not.

If the cross hair is moving all over the place, you definitely should not take it.

I am fortunate to know a few guys who have the skills to take such a shot, but they are very few and far between. I would need some support before I even consider it...

User

Problem is that very few people actually practice off-hand shooting at distances further than ~50m and at larger magnification. It helps to have a competitive brother in law when it comes to these things. After rifles are shot to make sure they group like they do, we usually set up targets at distance to see who shoots best off-hand at that distance. Provides a lot of fun and gets the heartrate up after a few tries.

Had almost similar 2 years back. Was sitting under a tree in Merweville out of sun and wind was blowing quite a bit from directly behind me.
    The other two hunters was walking along the river bed. Trying to look for Kudu or Fellow Deer.
    I was just in field for if one jumped out and came that way.

The other two hunters went pass me in the river bed. And about 5 minutes later I saw a Kudu Bull standing almost exactly where they walked.
    I first thought it could not be. Looked through scope and he was standing sideways towards me even looking my direction.
    I was sitting and rested my elbows on inside of knees. I would have gone prone and used Harris. But was afraid to move as he was facing my way.
    I aimed about 2/3 from bottom of rib cage t top. And decided to take the shot.
    He gave a jump and I saw dust. Thought I missed him.
    I then walked to the spot. And he was down and out. Was about 2-5m from spot where he was hit.
    The Sako Super hammerhead 150gr from 308 hit him just below center from top to bottom on side.
    Went through rib. Through left lung, took top of heart and right side Lung and excited on other side.
    It came to +-245m.

Banned

That particular kudu bull is closer than 180m

Serious though, one has to make split second decisions under such circumstances. In my case the first thought is how alert the kudu is and whether he is aware of me. If there is time I will try for a kneeling position of some kind. If there is no time I will put the rifle to the shoulder and then - irrespective of position - see how still I can hold the cross hairs.

There is no sense in wounding a healthy animal.

User

Couple of things.

One must never advocate taking these shots.
    One must not wonder if you should take it, you should know.
    Either you practice freehand at 200m and further or you don't, if you don't you have no business taking the shot.
    Don't walk over ridges like you are in the city, hunting requires you to stalk the ridge line.

Lastly never worry about maybe losing your dream trophy, in theory you are much worse off if you succeed.

User

There are hunters out there who can shoot accurately, offhand from 200 meters. They are, in my experience, few and far between. I practice offhand shooting, and I certainly won't take an offhand shot at 200 meters, unless it is at previously wounded animal that are likely to escape. You can not call back a bullet.

Also, that is still a young bull. It will be several years before he is a buck of a lifetime :)

User

In a different context (but which applies just as well to hunting) my father taught me "If there is doubt, there is no doubt." This often applies to conditions where one should choose to take an action or not. If there is doubt if the action would have the desired outcome, there should no doubt that it's better to choose to forego the action. "Can I take the shot?" is a prime example of where there is doubt.

this may be an overly cautious approach but it's never let me down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast