User

Default .375 Ruger for field guiding purposes.

I understand the field guides generally carry the 375 h&h, if a field guide owns a 375 Ruger will this be allowed for guiding in areas with dangerous game? Merely out of curiosity.

User

Default Re: .375 Ruger for field guiding purposes.

I can see no reason why not.

User

Its true, a 375 Ruger is not accepted in big game areas. H&H is the minimum. I would put my money on the reason been" Because that's the way it has been".

But then again, a conservation agency won't want to have to support a cartridge that is not as available as the H&H and also much more expensive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    I understand the field guides generally carry the 375 h&h, if a field guide owns a 375 Ruger will this be allowed for guiding in areas with dangerous game? Merely out of curiosity.
    A friend of mine has a 416 Ruger that he used as a field guide. I don't see why a 375 Ruger wont be accepted. It meets the minimum caliber and it is ballistically almost identical to the 375 H&H.

User

Quote Originally Posted by harryhcs View Post
    Its true, a 375 Ruger is not accepted in big game areas. H&H is the minimum. I would put my money on the reason been" Because that's the way it has been".

But then again, a conservation agency won't want to have to support a cartridge that is not as available as the H&H and also much more expensive.
    Please explain why the Ruger is not accepted, if the 375 nitro express or the 9.5x56MS were being discussed, I'd understand.

Comparison's between the 375Ruger And 375 H&H, are like 7x57/275Rigby vs the 7mm-08 Remington. The pros and cons of each realistically don't matter that much.

User

Quote Originally Posted by harryhcs View Post

I have never seen a list of approved and unacceptable cartridges yet. Various jurisdictions specify the .375" calibre or more specifically the 375 H&H as the minimum calibre for DG. Since the 375 Ruger will equal or outperform the H&H vesion, I can not see how anyone would want to forbid it.

User

The .375 Ruger IS accepted in DG country, by SANParks and FGASA - and why not, the H&H is the minimum (there is no list) and the Ruger out performs the H&H.

User

I suspect mr hcs will have something in the for sale section soon... and is working towards "50 posts"