Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Let’s discuss the 375H&H. Without emotion

It all depends on the purpose you need/use it for. Go hunt a buffalo or hippo with your 308 and come tell us the story. Make a video too.

Difficult to make a video while running full speed in the opposite direction

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    It all depends on the purpose you need/use it for. Go hunt a buffalo or hippo with your 308 and come tell us the story. Make a video too.
    There are two versions of this video...
    1. "Bang flop and the perfect head shot..."
    2. "Bang....RUN"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    There are two versions of this video...
    1. "Bang flop and the perfect head shot..."
    2. "Bang....RUN"
    You forgot the ... toss and trample part.

Personally, I consider the 375 marginal for these animals.

User

Making a video won`t be so difficult while running , that is why they make a GO Pro camera...you just need to wear it at the back of your head while running away ...

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I am reviving this interesting and long running thread? Why? Because I have set myself in getting a .404 Jeff as my big bore rifle, but now a good deal on a .375 HH came my way. So I am re-investigating and comparing notes from the .404 to the .375 etc. Emotions still have my heart set on a .404, but as this thread is without emotions just the following forming part of my consideration:

The .375 (or .404) will probably be my last rifle added to my safe. I hunt everything that I wanted to hunt up to now with my good old 30-06 and never felt undergunned. Do load myself, so that widens any calibers limits. For short range pigs of all sorts and also Impala and Kudu I do use my .44 Mag Lever gun also from time to time, but the 30-06 is doing 90 % of my hunting. Buffalo is on my wish list as well as Eland and Gemsbuck in the Kalahari. So I was of opinion to get the .404 for Buff and the 30-06 should just do for the long range large antelope. But now, when putting emotions aside, it seems that the .375 will be better suited if raw figures are studied for my use. The .375 should be just as deadly on Buffalo as the .404 but with lighter bullets (will load for .375 also) the .375 should outperform the 30-06 by miles on long range Eland and Gemsbuck. And that is a fact. The arrival energy of a 180 or 168 gr from the 30-06 at 250-300 m is way less than from a 235 - 250 grain from the .375 Boiler room shots is the only option as I am not a headshot beyond 100 m type of marksman.

Sure a .338 WM or .300 HH or .300 WM might be better suited for long range large antelope than the .375, but they are by no means bushveld and/or Buffalo suited.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Sure a .338 WM or .300 HH or .300 WM might be better suited for long range large antelope than the .375, but they are by no means bushveld and/or Buffalo suited.
    Let me start by saying that I love the .375 H&H. I have shot a number of antelope and pigs with it, both hunting and killing animals wounded by clients. I have never hunted a buffalo with it. Both of the .300's you name are excellent bushveld cartridges when loaded with decent 220 gr bullets. I have used the 220 gr Nosler Partition quite extensively in the .300 win mag on antelope up to large eland bulls and it was always impressive. The .300 H&H is virtually identical, ballistically. The .338 win mag with premium 250 or 300 gr bullets is an excellent bushveld cartridge.

As for buffalo, in many areas the .375 is the minimal legal caliber. However, this is not true in all areas. Mozambique, for one, has no minimum caliber law. In many other countries the laws are simply not enforced. It is often the outfitter/ph that makes the call. Think about South Africa, many antelope are regularly shot with calibers ( and bullet weights) that are strictly illegal. No one seems to care, I have never heard of anyone prosecuted for using an illegal caliber on a legal hunt. A well known Zimbabwean parks board member/ph openly admitted to letting a client shoot an elephant with a .30-'06 with 220 gr solids because he could not shoot a heavier caliber accurately. Our grandfathers happily hunted buffalo with the 7x57, 8x57, .30-'06 and .303 British. I know of several buffalo killed with sub legal calibers, including the 7.62x51, .30-'06, .300 win mag and .300 Weatherby mag.

So, while I believe that the .375 H&H will be perfect for your purpose, don't sell the .300's or the .338 short.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

The 375H&H is very versatile. Big 5 aside it’s a great caliber for heavy boned game such as eland and Giraffe and works wonderfully for small and medium game too. It’s easy to load for, you’ll be able to download it to 9.3 specs to charge it into 404 Jeff territory. With a 220gr bullet you will mirror the trajectory of the 180gr 30-06
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 16-04-2019 at 11:18.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    The 375H&H is very versatile. Big 5 aside it’s a great caliber for heavy boned game such as eland and Giraffe and works wonderfully for small and medium game too. It’s easy to load for, you’ll be able to download it to 9.3 specs to charge it into 404 Jeff territory. With a 220gr bullet you will mirror the trajectory of the 180gr 30-06
    Good answers/opinions all around , the most important issue maybe that there is nothing negative said about the .375 H&H Magnum, it is a great caliber , used by great hunter like Harry Manners...according to hunters who knows what they are talking about and from many years experiences..the .375H&H Magnum shooting a 270 gn bullet is the perfect hunting combination in the bush as well as open plains...If you can, buy one, use it in every hunting scenario , any type of hunt, whenever /where-ever, it is a great, great classic caliber ...

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

My post should read “OR charge it into 404 Jeff territory...”

I agree Gert it’s always a good caliber to have in your hunting battery
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Dr Kevin Robertson believes the 9.3 and the 375 is more versatile and will get used a lot more by the average local hunter than the bigger bores.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast