Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting ammo for 223

I use Sierra Gameking, 55gr, on Springbuck on distances up to 250m with no issue. For headshots I use Hornady Vmax 55gr which is also very effective.

I have found the Sierra bullets to be very accurate in most of my calibers, and for the price, they perform very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

On springbok, really avoid body shots with fast calibers if at all possible.

I bought a .222 a few years ago to use as my "small game" rifle and for my laaitjie as soon as he can hold a rifle properly. On a Springbok hunt, I took a few "blad skote" with 55gr Sako Gameheads @ 3100fps. Shots was between 120 - 150m. I was taken aback with the about of damage those small bullets made. Even when not hitting "large" bone.

Since then, I'm a "heavy en slower" believer for body shots.

Pic below is one of the Springbok rams I shot with the 222, "op die blad". I never again used my 222 for Springbok.

User

Hornady 55gr Vmax and sierra 52gr blitzkings the whole day long brain shots. Love it in my 223 and 22-250. Only two rifles I hunt springbok with.

User

I reload with either Hornady V-Max at R120.00 per 20 rounds(excluding brass) or Barnes TSX at R250.00 per 20 rounds(excluding brass). Safari and Out of Stock have various loadings available but be prepared to fork out from R175.00 for Federal American Eagle per 20 up to R590.00 (Norma Oryx) per 20 rounds.

Springbuck with their light bone structure are not difficult to kill given good shot placement, any bullet would do imo, it just depends on how well you shoot and how much meat damage you can live with.

I Have hunted with 50gr Vmax and it make nice head shots. It is not recommended for body shots. Not only meat damage when you actually process the carcass it isnt too much that you are throwing away. PMP give me poor groupings in my BRNO thus i don't normally use them. I have hunted with them though with them and i can say that the bullet penetrated better than the Vmax. Less expansion on impact, but not as accurate in my rifle.

Going to use 55gr Blitz kings this season. It is again a varmint type bullet and i would expect it to expand rapidly. but at the distances we will be shooting i am comfortable to take head shots only.

I hope this helps your decision making

PS look at bullet makers website on the construction of a bullet. It could be of help prior to making your purchase

User

Straying off topic slightly.

If you are uncomfortable taking a head/brain shot on a Kudu, Eland etc you should not be doing so on a Springbok.

Your target is smaller and just because the animals value is less ethically as a hunter you owe it to the animal not to.

If hunted within large camps in the Karoo obviously the chances of follow up shots are more as well as the chance of finding the animal making the temptation more appealing to some.

On the Merweville area farms I mostly hunt.
    The farmers do not allow head shots at all.
    No matter if you have Springbuck shooting colors.
    Closes to head they allow is if you want to take a neck shot.

Personally ive seen plenty of Springbuck where the guys shoots of a jaw.
    Or a part of top scull and the buck runs away.

@jdvisagie that is some serious damage!

I wouldn't take headshots on springbok unless I managed to get really close ( I have managed this a few times, once at 15m a couple of times less than 50m). I can live with some meat damage so body shots are good. I just need a round that will give me a decent group. Anybody using the same rifle with a suitable round? I thought they were quite popular, they were according to the salesman ofcourse

User

One's got to be careful mentioning headshots on public forums

But yes, headshots is a good option on Springbok where possible. Most hunters don't shoot as well as they think they do, or they just don't care about wounding and missing animals. Therefore headshots is generally discouraged with good reason.

If you are very confident in - and know your rifle well, headshots or high neck shots can be taken. But one must know your own ability and only when the situation present itself.

But each to their own. I know hunters that can shoot well who won't take headshots due to them feeling the margin for error is to high.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdvisagie View Post
    One's got to be careful mentioning headshots on public forums

But yes, headshots is a good option on Springbok where possible. Most hunters don't shoot as well as they think they do, or they just don't care about wounding and missing animals. Therefore headshots is generally discouraged with good reason.

If you are very confident in - and know your rifle well, headshots or high neck shots can be taken. But one must know your own ability and only when the situation present itself.

But each to their own. I know hunters that can shoot well who won't take headshots due to them feeling the margin for error is to high.
    Agreed. I do not take any shot I am not comfortable with, even if it is an body shot. If the animal is not further than 200m I go for the brain. BUT I know my rifles, my loads, my limits, range if possible and practice practice practice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast