Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting ammo for 223

200m is a long shot for a plus minus 2 inch target. You have to have your equipment spot on. If you are not shooting 50 plus animals at hunting conditions a year this is a tall ask.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    200m is a long shot for a plus minus 2 inch target. You have to have your equipment spot on. If you are not shooting 50 plus animals at hunting conditions a year this is a tall ask.
    SBB

You often hear people say it's not a headshot it's a brain shot.
    But certainly you know that is not the truth?

With a fast cal we literally shoot half of the head off, gone, and you use a combo to achieve exactly that.
    I think too many people try a headshot with a normal hunting rifle and bullets and the combo delivers less than desired results.

But take your 22-250 with a normal cup and core, I can post pictures but I assure you it aint no brain shot, it's a headshot.

@Messor bullet what would you recommend for body shots on springbok at 200m that wouldn't cause excessive meat damage.

User

Normal PMP brown box will work fine in Springbuck. Normal limitations apply with regard to what shots you take, but generally to avoid meat damage a normal behind the shoulder lung shot will suffice.
    The Springbuck won't go far.
    If you want security, load up rhino solid shanks or one of the monolithics.
    Varmint bullets have its place, but general hunting is not one of them.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    @Messor bullet what would you recommend for body shots on springbok at 200m that wouldn't cause excessive meat damage.
    Fishman

Most people immediately goes for the high BC fragile rounds in the cartrdige, like the V-Max, BT, CC, or Matchkings, purely because this is what the cartridge is mostly used for. Excellent for headshots but making a royal mess when not placed correctly on the body. Springbok are soft critters though and any of these in the boiler room puts them down.

If you tell me you will be doing a bit of shooting, and will need to take body shots, I will advise you to load up some TTSX bullets. Why, because they will shoot straight through a springbok, and many bitter antelope for that matter. But if you ask me for a cost effective bullet that might limit meat damage on body shots, get a cup and core in flatbase configuration. The normal 55gr Hornady softpoint is a great place to start for the mentioned use. Perfect for taking headshots, but keeping up remarkably well on body shots, I can vouch for that. I have seen the V-max in same weight fail miserably, but the old tech cup and core flatbase holding it’s own.

So you must tell me the need, if you are not going to be culling but just hunting, stop messing around and buy the TTSX. If your job will be shooting stuff then go for the softpoint.

I'll hunt with it once maybe twice a year if I'm lucky. A cost effective round will allow me to enjoy range time with my boys for the rest of the year.

The Hornady soft point sounds appealing so I'll start looking for them. On Hornadys website they refer to it as the varmint, code 2265. Is this right?

@Captain Hook, Suffer and Outrageous don't have them listed on their website. They only had the Vmax

User

I'll hunt with it once maybe twice a year if I'm lucky. A cost effective round will allow me to enjoy range time with my boys for the rest of the year.

The Hornady soft point sounds appealing so I'll start looking for them. On Hornadys website they refer to it as the varmint, code 2265. Is this right?

@Captain Hook, Suffer and Outrageous don't have them listed on their website. They only had the Vmax
    2265 is the correct code for the flat base lead tip 55 grain Hornady.

If reloading is not your thing grab some PMP and see how they group and go from there. Best thing they available at all gunshops. You can always use the cases at a later date to reload. As someone mentioned the Norma Oryx is a strong bullet but you will cough up for these.

I'm not ready to reload yet but definitely want to start.'Cz boolits are like biscuits, homemade is always best'. Not always, but seriously I think it's a bit like landing a fish on a fly you tied yourself.

I think I'll get some PMP rounds for now, save the brass and as soon as I'm ready I'll look for the Hornady 55g soft points.

Thanks to all for your input, much appreciated.

User

Give them a call. They don't seem to be keeping their website up to date these days

I load 55gr Vmax in my .223 and they are very accurate. The 60gr are too. I only use them on gongs and coyotes (a bit bigger than jackals). The won't exit coyotes on most shots, broad side, as they are that frangible. Good for saving furs. I would never use them on any game animal unless I was up for brain shots only on springbuck-impala class animals (for example if I was a well practiced culler). I have shot Impala with 55gr Remington factory softs and they killed them but I wasn't impressed with penetration and broken up bullets. I like exits. A 55gr .224" is a very small bullet! I agree with Messor, get a good premium bullet if you are shooting for the heart/lung area. I also don't like frangible bullets because I don't like eating lead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast