Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help me with my next caliber

I must say, my 308 is doing a great job for all my Hunting, this is more of a want then a need.
    I am not into long range shooting so not interested in the 6.5 craze.
    I hunt mostly bushveld. Initially I thought a 300 win mag would make sense, but seeing how little I hunt in the plains I don’t want to go that route or a smaller flatter shooter like 243 etc.
    This may be a want, but I want it to be functional. So I have come down to two choices that may work well. 9.3x62. And the 375 , either Ruger or H&H. I have even heard the 375 can work on larger plains game at longer ranges in a pinch.
    What do you guys say?

User

Default Re: Help me with my next caliber

If you have a 308 and don't plan to hunt dangerous game you don't need any other gun. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get one, but its gonna spend most of it's time in the safe. 375 or 9.3x62 are nice guns but expensive to shoot and largely overkill for normal game. That said 375 (just not the H&H) would be what I would get...

User

This is a fun situation to be in... what next caliber to get...

I think you already have everything you NEED for your purpose... the .308, loaded 'slow n heavy' will work very well on anything from duiker to BWB, and even Eland. the only 'drawback' is that at longer ranges, the bullet drop get quite extreme. but bullet drop can be compensated for, by KNOWING your rifle's trajectory. So, honestly, you do not NEED anything else...

That having been said, you need to now decide what your end game will be... is the next caliber the end, or is this the beginning of an expanding arsenal? I would get a 9.3x62 next. it is a fantastic bushveld caliber, with the additional benefit of being DG rated. and it is a 'softer' shooter that the 375H&H or Ruger. Just for me a better choice. Both the 375 and 9.3 are expensive to shoot. but that would be my next calibre if I were you.

Why not go smaller? Maybe I have just not been dealing with the right people, but just about every farm I have been to in the last 6 or 7 years, will not allow any rifles 6mm or smaller, to be used, that does not include the springbok farms, where 243 and even 22-250 have been accepted for the purpose... but typical busheveld, they required 6.5/264 and bigger. One farm even said 7mm/270 min!!!

I do own a 6.5x55, and can only vouch for its effectiveness on medium/small game, for which I use 156gr Norma Oryx bullets to great effect. my other rifle is a .338WM, which is used to drive 225, 250 and 300 gr bullets. I have not hunted anything with it yet. I sit with the opposite dilema to yo, where these 2 calibres cover all my needs sufficiently, that anything else I might buy, will purely be a WANT, and not a need...

So, now for the flier.... why not get a 12g shotgun next?

just saying...

User

Just think it out, kit it out, or do whatever you need to do in order to make it a working rifle.
    Wanting something is fine, but many people just buy stuff they never use.

Reloading creates options and make things cheap, animals are so expensive these days loading hunting bullets in the 9.3 or H&H seems very cheap.

Regarding your question, I would go with the 9.3, and fit a scope that can zoom in close, a 2-7 or 3-9 sturdy scope like Leupold will hunt most things in all terrain.
    Lastly, modern monolithics easily turns the 9.3 into a capable plains caliber up to normal hunting distances.

Find a used Mauser based 9.3 (like a Husqvarna for example) and fit it with a compact scope. Its won't be too expensive and is a classic, good quality bushveld rig. Honestly, loading a 9.3 is not that expensive. Privi 285gr bullets are cheap and accurate, Speer 270gr are also quite affordable. PMP makes bullets. It doesn't burn huge amounts of power either. Its also easy to load mild loads. I load a 270-286gr class bullet at around 2200fps. Its accurate, recoil is not objectionable and that combo will kill things with alacrity. Even with that lower velocity load sighted 2" high at 100m I hold dead on to hit a 20cm gong at 200m.

Good day Every hunter has a favorite caliber and one can discuss the merits of them at length. I have owned a 9,3 X 62 fitted with Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6 for about 30 years and used it for springbok (255gr Sako) up to Eland. I managed a game farm for 17 years and had to "finish" what other hunters started on many occasions. The 9,3 just seems to do the job very well ( I also own and hunt with a 30-06) I reload for bushveld areas with 286 gr bullets and used Lapua, Nosler, Hornady and Barnes at moderate speeds of 2200 to 2300 ftps So if "want" another caliber the 9,3 will serve you with distinction

Banned

Juust to throw a spanner in the works

45-70

444 Marlin

Or go hardcore: Martini Henry 577/450

Im also gonna suggest something way off.
    The 308 is all you currently need.
    Look at a new CZ 455 in 22lr for use on range and have fun.
    Or get a 44m Lever Action for some gong shooting 50-100m.
    Ive fitted my new Marlin 1894 with Peep sights. and its huge fun taking on an IPSC med Torso Plate(A3 size) at 50m to 100m.

User

If DG is not on the cards, 9.3 makes a lot of sense as a bushveld caliber.
    I believe Dr Kevin Robertson (author of the perfect shot) is a fan of the caliber, his personal rifle has shot around 650 buffalo so he knows it’s capabilities.

User

Get the .375 H&H and never look back! You saw it's purely a want, so let's have fun with this, shall we. The 9.3x62 is more than capable and great to shoot with, but let's be honest, it doesn't have the H&H cool factor nor the versatility (when splitting hairs). The ruger is capable, no doubt, but hard to find ammo if you're in a jam. It also suffers as you get into heavy-for-caliber bullet categories. I assume you like heavy and slow, as you're in bushveld? The H&H has been around for so long for a very good reason, I'm just gonna say it. I've gone on and on about the benefits of the H&H on other posts and I assume everyone is getting bored of it (I would be), so I won't go into it again. Just know it's worth while if you aren't recoil sensitive.

On the dual-purpose aspects (gasp, how dare I?), both .375 options are useful. Another option is a .338 WM, which is pretty decent medicine for just about anything you can shake a stick at. Not sure about ammo availability, but it is available around Gauteng if you look.

But to answer the question, I think perhaps the 9.3 is probably the option for you. Heavy projectiles, comfortable to shoot and a little more economically viable than the .375's. Huntex is around the corner, maybe go in with an open mind for all 3 and see what you can find??

Just to be difficult, maybe a 9.3x64 Brenneke?? No ammo availability, but it would certainly do what you're looking for and it's a cool thing to own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast