Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which shotgun NOT to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I do not want to get involved in anything serious with shotguns but having a shottie in the safe for the odd guinea fowl or piggie or clay session cannot hurt.

for R6000 is probably realistic once I get the competency done.
    If this is your requirements, a AYA SxS will fit the bill perfectly.
    I gave one to a farmer in your neck of the woods two years ago, and he's enjoying it.
    They usually sell on auction for R4 - 6k.
    A Brno SxS is also not a bad option. Sometimes old Beretta S Series O/U guns also come on the market, that may fit the bill. Fitment is key though, but with a little homework, it is something that you can do yourself.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Banned

I spoke to a good friend this evening on this theme.

How does one know when a shotgun has been abused, or has had its best years? Just age is not necessarily an indication.

- A loose action on a SxS or single barrel is one way of knowing. I have seen one or two.
    - Pump action shotguns seem to have fine tolerances from what I gather; once damaged or worked hard they seem to get finicky with ammunition.

This leaves me with a safer choice between an O/U or a semi.

Thanks for all the responses.

User

An O/U is a good choice, just make sure that you don't buy one at the end of it's life. In my opinion though there are better quality second hand SxS's available at your price point than O/U's, unless you get lucky and some old lady, who's husband passed and does not have a clue of the value of his old, barely used Beretta/Browning/Winchester/Miroku/Perazzi, offers it to you for R5k, because he only paid R950 for it in 1968, but then again, that brings up other moral questions, does it not;)

Abuse of a shotgun is easy to spot, and the damages are normally cosmetic.

The enemy of the cheaper break action shotgun is heavy use and the resulting wear, and it is rather easy to spot, firstly it manifests itself in the top lever, with the action closed and the forend fitted, moving from the right towards the centre of the tang. Depending on the gun, this will tell you whether the gun has a thousand shots left in it or 10 thousand. On this, someone that sends 4k shots down the barrel of his Howa, is a rather serious rifleman, in contrast a shotgunner that shoots 4k shells a year is approaching the serious stage.

If you take an assembled gun by the butt and sway/whip it from side to side for a SxS or up and down for a O/U and there is even a miniscule amount of play, run.

Look at the lugs on which the action hinges, if there is any visible wear, run.

There are very few competent shotgunsmiths in SA and shotgun restoration on worn shotguns is fairly expensive, therefore it is seldom cost effective to have the necessary work done on cheaper guns.

On the semi-auto, all I can say is research the additional legislative burden that is placed on you, to legally hunt with it.

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

User

DsJ, if you come Kimberley side speak to Rob Klemp. He knows shotguns, his dad had Green and Gold and they have been in the Business since '49.

You will find some funny stuff there.

User

IMO if he's a newbie, he won't be looking at O/U, S/S or semis. He'll look at a pump. On that note, you can give him options based on budget, same as with rifles and pistols.

Cheap: Something like a Mossberg Maverick M88
    Midrange: Winchester 1200/1300, Mossberg 500
    Higher priced: Remingon 870 and the likes

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    There was a time when I wanted one of those real bad!
    i think we all did!
    i have a turkish gun, its been good for the money

just needed a really good clean

User

I am still of the opinion that you must determine your need and then decide what FA or equipment will do the job for you. Some years ago when Ultra Optic scopes came out a friend bought one and took alot of flack for it. But with the amount he shoots the scope serviced him well for nearly 15 years. Cheap is not always bad depending on your need and budget.

If I want a shotgun for 10 shots a year, eg a Stoeger SP will work, but if I want to shoot 3gun it is not close to the ideal option.

I bought a Browning GTS Special with Chokes over from older person at our club who stopped shooting.
    But he insisted I shoot a round of Trap and Skeet with it.
    And said if I cant hit +16 then I cant buy it. As then he knows it does not fit me.
    And he does not want to sell it to someone it does not fit.
    Was my first round of Trap and Skeet. And I managed to get the 16 on each after he gave me some tips.

However I can hit a straight with my GTS but if I use any of my friends Beretta's he has.
    I am lucky to get 12-14 in a round.

Very tricky to just buy a O/U no matter which make and have it work for you.
    If it does not fit your gonna miss and get upset.

Guy who now and again shoots at our range. Even flew over to Perazzi.
    Picked the wood for stock. And spend sometime there so they could fit the shotgun to him.
    This is only possible if you resources.

User

Very valid comments on fit. Fit is in my mind the most important attribute in a shotgun used for shooting aerial targets. I would rather take a cheap turkish gun that fits me well, than a Perazzi that doesn't. This is because the fit will allow me to hit the targets, not the price tag.

A while back a friend invited me to shoot some clays. He loaned me his Beretta A300 that is obviously 30+ years old. The stock was fitted with a thick recoil pad that made it fit me well. Amazingly (with some coaching) I managed to hit 8 clays out of 10. So, that has become one of the guns on my wish list.

Of course, just about any decent shottie can be made to fit you. It will cost some effort and cash, take that into consideration when buying.

User

O/U - Stoeger
    SxS - Stoeger
    Semi - CZ(and I’m a big fan of their rifles and pistols).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast