Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K98 action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default K98 action

Good morning guys
    My name is Zak and I would just like some advise regarding an action that I want to buy. I only want to buy the action without the barrel and stock since I want to start a new project. I want to to convert a 8x57 js to a .303 on a mauser action. Here's the question. Do I need to apply for a permit for the action or licence since the action doesn't have any numbers or serial numbers on it except the Mauser range number WZ29 which states that it is a polich Mauser. Or is there a route I must follow if it needs to be permitted or licensed?
    Kind regards
    Zak

User

Default Re: K98 action

Have you made your intro post yet? We regard that as good manners here, and is mandated by forum rules.

How you would handle the action legally depends a lot on what it's status is now and how your gunsmith is going to handle the matter. I would discuss it with the 'smith and let him guide you.

Also, consider that the Mauser action was actually designed for rimless cartridges. Converting it to reliably feed the 303 will require extensive mods to bolt, action and magazine.

The British have made a pirate copy of the Mauser and adapted it to the 303 cartridge in 1914 already. If you can find a P14 action you have much less mods to do to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Have you made your intro post yet? We regard that as good manners here, and is mandated by forum rules.How you would handle the action legally depends a lot on what it's status is now and how your gunsmith is going to handle the matter. I would discuss it with the 'smith and let him guide you.Also, consider that the Mauser action was actually designed for rimless cartridges. Converting it to reliably feed the 303 will require extensive mods to bolt, action and magazine.The British have made a pirate copy of the Mauser and adapted it to the 303 cartridge in 1914 already. If you can find a P14 action you have much less mods to do to make it work.
    Sorry for that...exitement took over when I received my login details lol

User

I remember there being a Mauser 98 actioned .303 on one of the Classic Arms auctions a few years ago. It was by one of the better known British gunmakers - maybe Jeffery?

It stuck in my mind because I'm quite fond of the .303 as a cartridge & I wondered if that particular setup would solve some of the problems like case-head separation that seem to go with it.

I wonder if I can find it again........

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    I remember there being a Mauser 98 actioned .303 on one of the Classic Arms auctions a few years ago. It was by one of the better known British gunmakers - maybe Jeffery?

It stuck in my mind because I'm quite fond of the .303 as a cartridge & I wondered if that particular setup would solve some of the problems like case-head separation that seem to go with it.

I wonder if I can find it again........
    Do you remember the price? They are extremely rare collectables.

Evening. I think you are thinking of W Green's .303 Mauser. I have a pic of it. That's the main reason I want to convert a Mauser action to a .303 The looks and of course the accuracy I believe will be better thus it's a mauser bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d1aebfecfc2ef22b31a44545dcf2d1f3.jpg  

User

Quote Originally Posted by bezuidenhoutizak View Post
    Evening. I think you are thinking of W Green's .303 Mauser. I have a pic of it. That's the main reason I want to convert a Mauser action to a .303 The looks and of course the accuracy I believe will be better thus it's a mauser bolt.
    You could very well be correct. I had a look through the old auction catalogues last night but couldn't find it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    You could very well be correct. I had a look through the old auction catalogues last night but couldn't find it.
    Bingo! You were right.

Auction 37 November 2010 Lot no F103:
    .303 Greener sporting Rifle
    Scarce M98 Mauser actioned rifle with 24,5" barrel marked to "W.W.GREENER MAKER BIRMINGHAM". Knox form carries British proofs & is marked "AMMUNITION .303 MARK VII Cordite 37 -174max". Three leaf rear sight, chequered wrist & fore-end. Repaired chip to heel of stock. Good bore, good original condition overall.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bezuidenhoutizak View Post
    Good morning guys
    My name is Zak and I would just like some advise regarding an action that I want to buy. I only want to buy the action without the barrel and stock since I want to start a new project. I want to to convert a 8x57 js to a .303 on a mauser action. Here's the question. Do I need to apply for a permit for the action or licence since the action doesn't have any numbers or serial numbers on it except the Mauser range number WZ29 which states that it is a polich Mauser. Or is there a route I must follow if it needs to be permitted or licensed?
    Kind regards
    Zak
    I will give you a pristine Lithgow SMLE with a spotless barrel for a polish mauser.
    The 8mm pack a whole lot more punch than a 303British. Hornady make very nice bullets and Sako, S&B and Winchester sells cartridges as far as I know.
    send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    I will give you a pristine Lithgow SMLE with a spotless barrel for a polish mauser.The 8mm pack a whole lot more punch than a 303British. Hornady make very nice bullets and Sako, S&B and Winchester sells cartridges as far as I know.send me a PM.
    It's only the action of the Mauser that is for sale. The stock is totally throw away. And there's no barrel included. That's why I want to convert it to a .303 I love them. I even have a Ishapore. 303 that shoots perfect groupings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast