Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K98 action

User

Default Re: K98 action

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    You could very well be correct. I had a look through the old auction catalogues last night but couldn't find it.
    Bingo! You were right.

Auction 37 November 2010 Lot no F103:
    .303 Greener sporting Rifle
    Scarce M98 Mauser actioned rifle with 24,5" barrel marked to "W.W.GREENER MAKER BIRMINGHAM". Knox form carries British proofs & is marked "AMMUNITION .303 MARK VII Cordite 37 -174max". Three leaf rear sight, chequered wrist & fore-end. Repaired chip to heel of stock. Good bore, good original condition overall.

User

.... And here's the picture:

.... And here's the picture:
    Do you perhaps remember what the price was on the auction?

User

Quote Originally Posted by bezuidenhoutizak View Post
    Do you perhaps remember what the price was on the auction?
    The catalogue tells me the predicted price was R12500 but the bids accepted list tells me that it was knocked down for R8500. Sounds like a bargain now but was probably quite a high price back in 2010!

User

Quote Originally Posted by bezuidenhoutizak View Post
    Good morning guys My name is Zak and I would just like some advise regarding an action that I want to buy. I only want to buy the action without the barrel and stock since I want to start a new project. I want to to convert a 8x57 js to a .303 on a mauser action. Here's the question. Do I need to apply for a permit for the action or licence since the action doesn't have any numbers or serial numbers on it except the Mauser range number WZ29 which states that it is a polich Mauser. Or is there a route I must follow if it needs to be permitted or licensed?Kind regards Zak
    Why? You are downgrading from a more powerful 8x57 JS caliber to a .303 caliber??? Just buy an already converted .303 sportster and sell the M98 action . The .303 caliber sportster can be had for R3000 to R6000...and are readily available . Or buy a military .303 caliber and convert it ...You need to apply for a licence for this action, and attache a gunsmith report as well. An action, a barrel needs to be licence on its own. There are a new act regarding single barrels purchase..you need to licence the barrel as well...it may take up to six months...

User

Gert is correct about the time and hassle factor involved.

I have been down this road a couple of times also starting out with just a K98 action.
    I built up a 7mm08 for my son and a .458 2inch on the 2 actions.
    Factor in costs of the build as well as barrel,reamers,stocks,45 degree safety,timney trigger,ect,ect and you will come out time wise,on the wrong side of 18 months and money wise,on the wrong side of 20k.

Is it worth it...to me yes...would i do it again...yes...already planning. BUT you must know the pitfalls,be patient and be sure of what you want.

User

If you are set on going this route, I will ask Johan Greyling if he has a Mauser .303 to sell, I kind of remember there was such a rifle in the gun smith shop..I will ask and let you know.. Then you have a Mauser action extra to do a big bore build like a 404 Jeffery...

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    If you are set on going this route, I will ask Johan Greyling if he has a Mauser .303 to sell, I kind of remember there was such a rifle in the gun smith shop..I will ask and let you know.. Then you have a Mauser action extra to do a big bore build like a 404 Jeffery...
    Hallo GertThanx for all the advise...still I think I'm going to do the rebuild...it's just one thing I had in mind all these years. I've hunted quit a lot of animals over the years with my .303 and always had the idea of walking with a k98 action. 303 opensite in the bush. (The thing of the metal part which splits the stock in 2pieces also putted me off over the years)So ja I'm on my conversion on the open road...also think a stock simular to a rigby style would round it of nicely...Many thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Gert is correct about the time and hassle factor involved.I have been down this road a couple of times also starting out with just a K98 action.I built up a 7mm08 for my son and a .458 2inch on the 2 actions.Factor in costs of the build as well as barrel,reamers,stocks,45 degree safety,timney trigger,ect,ect and you will come out time wise,on the wrong side of 18 months and money wise,on the wrong side of 20k.Is it worth it...to me yes...would i do it again...yes...already planning. BUT you must know the pitfalls,be patient and be sure of what you want.
    Evening.Also was thinking that my daughter would inherited this custom build from me on a later stage in the future...lolHopefully not soon but ja. I think is quit nice to have a one of a kind rifle that just not shoot nicely but also has a history in the family. Still going on with the rebuild. I'll post pics as we progress...

The catalogue tells me the predicted price was R12500 but the bids accepted list tells me that it was knocked down for R8500. Sounds like a bargain now but was probably quite a high price back in 2010!
    I would have paid R12000 with a smile if I was on that auction lol still R8500 is a fair price regarding the looks on the picture. Hopefully when I'm finished with my rebuild it will have more sentiment to me than value...I'll post pics as we progress...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast