Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tipsy Shooter

Default Re: Tipsy Shooter

Jeez... you guys think I am some alcoholic who wants to show everybody his gun.

Guys, I drink perhaps once or twice a month and never to excess. I used the 5 long tom example as that is the most I will ever drink and that rarely happens and even then that will be over 5 or 6 hours. The open carry question is because I want to carry my weapon always (unless in a place where it is not allowed). The times I would need to open carry would be on very very rare occasions, but I still wanted to know what the law says.

But thank you for your responses

User

Quote Originally Posted by ruaanfs View Post
    If you are having a braai and drinks start flowing the FA needs to go to the safe. Drunk people do stupid shit period. That is how I see it.
    I carry a firearm to protect my life, not prevent me from living.
    I have always had access to a firearm, never felt the need to shoot anyone when braaing.

Firearm safety is not something you forget after a few drinks.
    In life you get people that do stupid stuff, and people that doesn't do stupid stuff, I find the pattern remains the same after having a few drinks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendr View Post

Secrecy about your f/a... Like stated above. When you carry no one must know. I do not even throw my empty reloading component boxes in the dustbin (I still need to figure out what to do with all the empty powder tins). I burn them, no firearm related article ever leave my yard in refuse bag.

This is just my opinion.
    Chances are better in my opinion that information from your DFO's office will find its way to bad people, than a Bergie informing the local mob you threw 2000 small pistol primers containers and three empty Somchem tins into the bin.
    I do though always fill my postal address and not my home address on any register that have my name and a gun detail on it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Chances are better in my opinion that information from your DFO's office will find its way to bad people, than a Bergie informing the local mob you threw 2000 small pistol primers containers and three empty Somchem tins into the bin.
    I do though always fill my postal address and not my home address on any register that have my name and a gun detail on it.
    True, but that is something I cant control. For the little bit that I can control, I try to do everything possible to draw as little/no attention.

User

@Messor Some people have self control others dont.

Not too long a go a guy was charged by Anglo because he went out with a couple of colleagues after work, had a couple of beers and all of sudden the FA is out of the holster, showing off to his fellow colleagues. Took photos while posing with the gun and shared on the work group. Now that is what I mean about doing stupid shit.

I am not implying that the OP or anyone else here will do the same but everyone should know where is that fine line of having control and losing it.

User

On reloading rubbish. My empty Somchem cans sit in my reloading room and decorate one wall. This is on purpose. Whenever the local SAPS explosives section people feel the need to check my powder storage/consumption habits again, I can show them all the empty cans as proof of my bona fides.

On defending yourself when less than 102% sober: Yes, you will still have to defend yourself. The issue is, your reflexes will likely not be as fast as when sober, so you are at a significant disadvantage. I would be more concerned with my defensive abilities than the legal implications. You first have to survive the attack before you need to worry about getting charged.

User

I think we should all just stick to the rules and no innocent people will get hurt.
    Meaning, you are not allowed to handle a FA while under the influence.

Most people see us as a gun community, when one dumbass does something stupid, like Oscar shooting Reeva, dad shooting his son by mistake, some kid killing a friend when they find their dads gun. I find people putting me in the same boat and having to defend the reasons for me wanting to own a firearm.

You should not have a few drinks and get into a car and drive, please do not have a few drinks while carrying your FA.
    If you feel that you would like to have a few drinks at a braai, but you also would like to carry your FA incase of having to defend yourself or a loved one, i would say, chose what is more important to you at that time.

The same as i started this post, i will end it.
    I think we should all just stick to the rules and no innocent people will get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    So interesting thing - somewhat relating to some off the above statement made already. I play an online first person shooting game and can clearly see my kill to death ratio declining after two beers. Now I still feel fine walk normal and talk normal, but my response time has somewhat deteriorated and only visible in the statistics.

I also motorcycle and never drink anything when I know I need to ride my bike anywhere. Need the response times to be 120%.

+1 for : If you are so concerned about being able to defend yourself and your family then stay sober.

We need more responsible drivers and people like you mate !

I have no objection to alcohol, except consuming it during activities that carry some risk to others. That's because alcohol degrades cognitive function even in small quantities. Many years ago the AA in the UK ran some tests of drivers that showed marked decline after only one beer. A similar test was done more recently in Cape Town that showed exactly the same. Dunno who ran that test but broadcaster Aden Thomas participated and told us the results. It is simple common sense (and I would argue a mandatory requirement of responsible people) not to consume alcohol when operating machinery, driving vehicles, flying aeroplanes, or handling firearms. Or for a reasonable time after having consumed alcohol. "Handling" in this context means carrying them or even having them readily accessible, and it is ridiculous to claim that a firearm is not being handled if its in its holster - the fact of it being in a holster on the person means that it may be handled at any time.

I stopped drinking alcohol when driving (or several hours before driving) when I realised that the only clear and unequivocal answer to the question "how much is OK" is "none." The same applies to firearms in spades. The practical result, of course, is that it has forced me to become teetotal, because I'm driving or carrying or both every day. I accept it as the price of responsible conduct.

User

For the guys pushing impaired cognitive ability when under the influence, you are worse off when tired.
    So those few beers to relax every now and again, might actually help you later on during the week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast