Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tipsy Shooter

User

Default Re: Tipsy Shooter

[QUOTE=WakkerJack;1249136]
    Question 1:
    I am braaing with my family and some friends in my back yard and have had about 5 long tom Black Label beers. I am a bit on but not stumbling around or anything.
    Then 3 men attack our group with knifes.
    After warning that I will shoot they do not stop, I then shoot and kill one of them.
    Will my actions be legal even though I am drunk? What will happen to me? (remember not stumbling drunk, but alcohol will be on my breath)

NSA had a really good legal opinion on this, can be found at https://natshoot.co.za/nhsa-info/nhs...2018/vol-14-01 which deals with 'Necessity'

Question 2:
    Am I allowed to open carry when at home? (With or without guests being present, neighbours can potentially look over the wall and see me)

Yip, private property and all that, but as mentioned above, do you want your neighbours knowing you own & carry?.

Question 3:
    Am I allowed to open carry when on a friend/family farm?

Yip, private property and all that....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kev123 View Post
    I agree with you 100% I literally meant one beer or one GNT. What would happen if I got stopped in uber etc and cops ask if I have a weapon? One drink is technically still under the influence? Would they breathalyse etc?

the argument you can have your weapon on you holstered, covered etc, that is not handling

handling the firearm, manipulation, loading or aiming while under the influence

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You can, but why would you want to drink yourself into oblivion when you know there's a chance you might end up using your firearm? I'm not saying stop drinking altogether, but don't drink 3.75l of beer and tell me you're in any state to responsibly handle a firearm.
    When he said long tom I assume he meant the 440ml or 500ml cans.

Not that much beer over a period where someone would braai

User

If you are having a braai and drinks start flowing the FA needs to go to the safe. Drunk people do stupid shit period. That is how I see it.

As for open carry? Like most said why would you want to?

I always carried my FA in an OWB holster when hunting as its much more comfy but my shirt or jacket still covered it. So I guess its your choice if you want to open carry on private property but the question remains why?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    When he said long tom I assume he meant the 440ml or 500ml cans.

Not that much beer over a period where someone would braai
    Makes more sense. I worked on 750ml - not too clued up on "da slang". Still, 5 x 500ml is 2.5l. Not saying anything is wrong with it (or even that it's wrong to drink 10 times as much), but consider how you'll manipulate, aim and fire a weapon after that amount of alcohol. For me, personally, it's not worth it. It's part of the schlep when you accept to carry a gun and take on the mindset of "I'mma need to be responsible and stuff now".

User

Quote Originally Posted by WakkerJack View Post
    Howzit guys
    I got the SMS last week saying that my licence for a handgun has been approved. Now I have to wait for my card... 3 or 4 months?
    Anyway, I have some questions I really hope you gentlemen can answer for me. Forgive me if they sound a bit stupid.
    Question 1:
    I am braaing with my family and some friends in my back yard and have had about 5 long tom Black Label beers. I am a bit on but not stumbling around or anything.
    Then 3 men attack our group with knifes.
    After warning that I will shoot they do not stop, I then shoot and kill one of them.
    Will my actions be legal even though I am drunk? What will happen to me? (remember not stumbling drunk, but alcohol will be on my breath)

Question 2:
    Am I allowed to open carry when at home? (With or without guests being present, neighbours can potentially look over the wall and see me)
    Question 3:
    Am I allowed to open carry when on a friend/family farm?

I thank you in advance.
    1. I believe the "reasonable man test" will apply. Think a lawyer specializing in this field can give you a more accurate take on this. Remember : free advise is not always the best advise.

On Open Carry :
    Remember, you teach your body and mind constantly where your firearm is located on you. Lets say you EDC AIWB normally, and you OWB when at home. SHTF at home and you go for your f/a, subconsciously you will reach for your abdomen, but you have it OWB at say 3o'clock....see where I'm going. I believe in training how live and live how you train, especially if it is for EDC purpose. Sport shooting is totally different.

Secrecy about your f/a... Like stated above. When you carry no one must know. I do not even throw my empty reloading component boxes in the dustbin (I still need to figure out what to do with all the empty powder tins). I burn them, no firearm related article ever leave my yard in refuse bag.

This is just my opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stevendr View Post
    1. I believe the "reasonable man test" will apply. Think a lawyer specializing in this field can give you a more accurate take on this. Remember : free advise is not always the best advise.

On Open Carry :
    Remember, you teach your body and mind constantly where your firearm is located on you. Lets say you EDC AIWB normally, and you OWB when at home. SHTF at home and you go for your f/a, subconsciously you will reach for your abdomen, but you have it OWB at say 3o'clock....see where I'm going. I believe in training how live and live how you train, especially if it is for EDC purpose. Sport shooting is totally different.

Secrecy about your f/a... Like stated above. When you carry no one must know. I do not even throw my empty reloading component boxes in the dustbin (I still need to figure out what to do with all the empty powder tins). I burn them, no firearm related article ever leave my yard in refuse bag.

This is just my opinion.
    Drop off your reloading dirt at the range or at your least favorite neighbours house

User

This tread id full of so much stupid it hurts my head.

Open carry is stupid. In public and at home. Most home invasions and "Farm murders" happen where? In your home or on the farm. Why make yourself a target or choose to not have at least some element of surprise at your disposal?

As for having to defend yourself against an unlawful attack while you are pissed, this is one possible scenario:

Two cases will be opened: a case of housebreaking / attempted murder / armed robbery where the (drunk) defender is the complainant.

And another one of handling a firearm while being under the influence. Where the state is the complainant, and the drunk home owner is the suspect / soon to be accused and soon to lose his guns.

If you are so concerned about being able to defend yourself and your family then stay sober.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Drop off your reloading dirt at the range or at your least favorite neighbours house

At the range....now that is good idea. Never thought of that before.

I'm trying to build a relationship with both my neighbors, I will get caught. Murphy loves me too much

User

So interesting thing - somewhat relating to some off the above statement made already. I play an online first person shooting game and can clearly see my kill to death ratio declining after two beers. Now I still feel fine walk normal and talk normal, but my response time has somewhat deteriorated and only visible in the statistics.

I also motorcycle and never drink anything when I know I need to ride my bike anywhere. Need the response times to be 120%.

+1 for : If you are so concerned about being able to defend yourself and your family then stay sober.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast