User

Default Transporting fire arms long distance

Following on the "lost rifles" thread, I would like to throw around ideas on the safe transportation of fire arms, especially when traveling long distances.

Having had the privilege to attend several sport shooting nationals all over the country, I have had to travel with guns to many places. This is definitely not the same as going to the local range or gunshop.

Handguns are fairly easy, as I can put a few in a small backpack and just keep them with me wherever I go. Long guns are a different matter. They are bulky and heavy. Sometimes I take more of them along than I can carry at one time. There is no way I'm going to take them with me while visiting the toilet at the shell ultra shitty or wherever. There is the ammo as well.

Also, there is the matter of safeguarding them at at guest house or wherever you are sleeping over. Also, moving them from the vehicle to the residence and back.

Any experiences and ideas would be welcome, as long as they did not originate with the "home alone" movies.

User

Default Re: Transporting fire arms long distance

Makro rifle safe bolted inside the boot? Vehicle safes are allowed ...?

Banned

My uncle did PH work in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe for many years. He taught me to put a rifle in the middle of the vehicle if possible, and facing forward or rearward in the vehicle but not across.

His reason was that the middle of the vehicle was the most stable point during travels. There was a smaller chance of the scopes being bumped out.

When we travel with rifles (hunting etc) it will create quite a stir if everyone does the toilet-colddrinks-chocolate run with a rifle over the shoulder - even bagged. One stops on a remote corner of the parking lot (difficult to approach) and one or two people always stay nearby.

When one needs to move multiple rifles and it is impossible to do it at once, a similar situation applies. Two people work together, one stays near the vehicle.

I have not traveled really far with rifles many times but I make a point of keeping rifle and owner together in one vehicle. A friend got in severe trouble because his rifle was in the other bakkie which got searched in a road block.

User

As far as possible I try not to drive alone. On the flip side all of us must have been a chance, rifle in vehicle, parked in front of Quick Shop, walking crab style keeping both eyes on the vehicle.

User

I've taken a bagged rifle into a restaurant a few times.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    I've taken a bagged rifle into a restaurant a few times.
    Having experienced scope adjustment (zero) changes in rifles that were transported in a soft rifle bag, I have developed the habit of transporting them in a hard case now. I don't even bother checking the zero on the other side, except if mandated by the host.

And the big hard case draws even more attention in public places...