Thread: rangefinder

User

Default rangefinder

I am looking to buy a rangefinder for normal hunting.

Any suggestions?
    I know budget plays a role, but would like to hear what people recommend as a good value option.

User

Default Re: rangefinder

I'm very happy with my Leica. It was expensive but it has outperformed every other range finder I have tested it against. Comes back with the range quicker and seems to be better at picking up the target. Simple to operate. It's about 3 years old now so I'm sure I'll soon encounter a newer generation product from another manufacturer that outperforms it but based on my experience thus far I'd buy a Leica again.

User

You can't go wrong with Leica or Sig. They are expensive, but worth it. I would rather buy a leica or a sig second hand to fit in budget than get another brand new.

The cheaper options do work, but take longer and don't acquire a small target as well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

so, I got the Leica CRF 1600R
    very excited.
    they are expensive, but hope to use it for many years.

Interesting thread. I finally bit the bullet and picked up the Hawke Pro 900 under R4k. My reasoning is that I only hunt a couple of times a year and the 900m range is ample. I've had good feedback from other GS users on them in terms of picking up blesbuck at around 400m to 450m consistently.

I haven't used it as it arrived a week ago but first impression are that the unit is bigger than say the Leupold 650i. Going to test tomorrow on human "targets" and see what range I can get.

Overall couldn't justify the almost double cost for a rangefinder such as the Leupold 1200i, Leica 1600R (This was my preferred choice) etc.

This said I think Safari Outdoor have a sale on and I think there is a Nikon Pro 7i on sale at R4k?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    The cheaper options do work, but take longer and don't acquire a small target as well.
    I don't know how the Hawke compares here in terms of speed.

Ive been using the Hawke 900 for 2 to 3 years now.
    The moment you press the button you see the distance.
    No delay. So far I am very happy with it.
    I like the compact size of the Vortex. But I did not see the value in paying double what I paid.
    I also use my 900 when we shoot bush doves up to 100m with pcp's.
    No issues. Only reason not further then 100. Is thats the how far im comfortable taking shots on the doves.