Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Company announced firearm policy - what now?

Some quick feedback on this matter - no response from management yet, but in the meantime I have found out that I am (to my pleasant surprise) not the only one that is carrying, and that other employees also voiced their opinion on this matter and said that the policy is not practical. Overall the sentiment seems rather positive to neutral, but we are yet to receive a response from management.

User

The company (or certain persons) were quick to drag in the OHS Act 85 of 1993 to serve their agenda.

They are trying to sell the idea that they are reducing the risk to employees by preventing them from being armed. Ask them for the Risk Assessment they have conducted .All employers are required to assess the risk to employees and provide and maintain a safe working environment - (Sect 8: Duties of employers) If they have not conducted a proper risk assessment they are out of their depth making up arbitrary policies. If they have not conducted a proper risk assessment on the facility / work area, they will have problems if a DOL inspector pitches up for an inspection...

And if they have done a proper risk assessment (or were qualified to do so) they would know that a policy giving an instruction is in essence nothing more than an administrative control. (one of the least effective types of control)

I have seen a company risk assessment that identified the hazard of armed criminals targeting company employees at work and the company identified a very simple and effective control: Allow employees to carry licenced firearms at work (concealed and in line with the requirements of the FCA). That is a real risk assessment.

If a company is going to have a firearms policy I hope they first have a H&S policy. And if one has a policy you had better make sure your policy is backed up by a very good procedure.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Is your parking area on company property? If so, a car safe would still be in violation of that policy.
    We for instance have a policy which states that with reasonable cause, we (part of our policies) agree that they may search our vehicles. Our parking is on company property, to add.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4