Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Company announced firearm policy - what now?

An e-mail has been sent out at work today announcing a firearm policy. Needless to say, many responsible firearm owners have been in this position before. Below follows the e-mail that was sent out to all employees today. I am not mentioning the company's name for obvious reasons.

Hi,

In accordance with the Health and Safety procedures at [The Company], we would like to bring to your attention that [The Company] is a “gun free zone”

“Please note that employees and visitors are not permitted to possess firearms or any other offensive weapons on these premises.
    All employees within the ambit of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 have a legal duty to establish, within reason, the danger to the safety of persons on company premises and to take the necessary steps to remove such threats or potential threats as far as is practicable.

The danger associated with firearms arising from ignorance, negligence and misuse are self evident.
    As a general rule therefore no privately owned firearms (or any other offensive weapons) will be permitted on company premises.

Under no circumstances will the company allow employees or visitors to store their personal firearms on company premises for safe keeping while they are on duty or are not themselves on the premises.

Personal firearms must not be used while on company business.

Notification:
    A notice will be posted at staff and visitors entrances to the premises, calling attention to the prohibition of personal firearms.

Responsibility:
    It is the responsibility of all managers and all employees expecting visitors to ensure procedure is adhered to.”

I trust you find this in order.
    Regards
    Should a letter be written in reply, addressing this matter? In my personal opinion, the letter seems to be motivated more by ignorance and somewhat negatively biased towards firearms. Just plainly ignoring this notification is an option, although that might cause some unnecessary issues in the future. However, this borders on taking away my right to ensure my personal safety at and away from work. How should this be addressed?

User

Good luck going against company code of conduct.
    You can either ignore & carry up until you are caught but it wont cause a major issue unless you have signed a legal document.
    If u comply, take the least amount of valuable items with you to work. Ask for lockable drawers to safely store 'wallet & jewellery" whilst on duty...

User

Default Re: Company announced firearm policy - what now?

Nothing new, a lot of companies do this.
    Yes it is ignorant, but few will be reasonable about it.

We have this too, wording almost exactly the same.

I do want to see our company refuse a client access should they find out the client carries, i.e. no they wont.

You can query it, then they know you carry. Maybe they are reasonable but probably not.
    You can carry concealed, but what if you are made?
    You can install a car safe.
    You can leave fa in your safe at home.

Good luck.

User

Make effort to conceal properly you probably risk more if you don't carry. Do any co workers know you EDC? Ones that you possibly couldn't trust? Then that is your biggest hurdle IMHO. I'd just keep calm and carry on.

User

You icould try to find out who instigated the policy in the first place and try to dscuss it with them.

User

Basically you are screwed. If caught out by the wrong person you can get fired. Maybe you should talk to the top brass and explain why you carry. Traveling to and from work can be dangerous. Ask to install a safe at work although they dont want it but anything is possible. If they dont budge tell them you will held them and the company liable if something happened. Last option is a car safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcam View Post
    Good luck going against company code of conduct.
    You can either ignore & carry up until you are caught but it wont cause a major issue unless you have signed a legal document.
    If u comply, take the least amount of valuable items with you to work. Ask for lockable drawers to safely store 'wallet & jewellery" whilst on duty...
    No other legal documents have been signed other than the employment contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Nothing new, a lot of companies do this.
    Yes it is ignorant, but few will be reasonable about it.

We have this too, wording almost exactly the same.

I do want to see our company refuse a client access should they find out the client carries, i.e. no they wont.

You can query it, then they know you carry. Maybe they are reasonable but probably not.
    You can carry concealed, but what if you are made?
    You can install a car safe.
    You can leave fa in your safe at home.

Good luck.
    Giving management the benefit of the doubt, they are rather friendly, so it is possible that they will be reasonable about it if motivated properly. Just carrying on with the risk of being made is of course risky. But leaving the FA at home is by all means not an option. As per Zuku's comment, a car safe would be my absolute last bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thudrukis View Post
    Make effort to conceal properly you probably risk more if you don't carry. Do any co workers know you EDC? Ones that you possibly couldn't trust? Then that is your biggest hurdle IMHO. I'd just keep calm and carry on.
    No other co-workers EDC as far as I know. The ones that know I am passionate about firearms are also generally keen participants in any firearm-related conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pascoe View Post
    You icould try to find out who instigated the policy in the first place and try to dscuss it with them.
    This is what I intend to do. I just want to make very sure about how I will approach them. My intention is to properly motivate my reasons for EDC and back it up by personal experiences that have determined my choice to EDC (I have one particular experience in my direct family that bears great significance).

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Basically you are screwed. If caught out by the wrong person you can get fired. Maybe you should talk to the top brass and explain why you carry. Traveling to and from work can be dangerous. Ask to install a safe at work although they dont want it but anything is possible. If they dont budge tell them you will held them and the company liable if something happened. Last option is a car safe.
    That's the thing, I don't just want to blatantly violate policy, since that could cause unnecessary trouble. But the harsh truth is that if I end up in a situation where my life was in danger and I couldn't defend myself due to this policy, it is quite frankly exactly that policy that prevented me from defending myself. Regarding the car safe, I certainly consider that a last resort, if all else fails.

User

How about we get GOSA to respond on behalf of members, sending out a general letter, keeping members credentials anonymous? A fee could be charged?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gidsie View Post
    How about we get GOSA to respond on behalf of members, sending out a general letter, keeping members credentials anonymous? A fee could be charged?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
    Do you mean that GOSA send such a letter to the relevant company from which an employee is in this position?

Although the motive in general would be positive, I can still foresee that the company ignores such letter and just proceeds with the policy. In fact, this could potentially irritate management of the company since someone was affected by their policy but did not take the liberty to discuss it with them internally at first. Consequently, management could feel that unnecessary attention has been brought to them where the matter could potentially be resolved internally.

If, however, an employee raises the issue with management personally and properly motivates on why and how it impacts on his/her personal safety and security, they might respond differently and possible in a more positive and understanding manner...

User

I wonder; if you are the only one carrying and your company issued that statement, don’t you think one of your colleagues complained?

If someone did complain, then you may very well have a difficult time ahead of you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast