my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default South African contemporary military history

https://samilhistory.com

This blog has been set up to keep contemporary South African Military history alive and reveal the truth – because historical “truth” in South Africa is so often skewed to some or other political agenda.

During all of it’s epochs, the South African statute forces have been marginalised or demonised to serve each respective incoming regime’s political ideology. The original “Union Defence Force” (UDF) of the Botha/Smuts government was branded by the National Party, on their ascent to power in 1948, as “traitors” for serving the British Crown in WW1 and WW2, the Nationalist government in turn reformed the Defence Force in their own image as the “South African Defence Force” (SADF) and it has subsequently been branded as the “Apartheid forces”, the reformation of which in 1994 – “The South African National Defence Force” (SANDF) is now branded as nepotist and corrupt in line with the ANC’s current political legacy.

In all the above – the “truth,” the “heroes” and the “great and noble deeds” undertaken by men and women who have served in a South African uniform has been lost and discarded in favour of political reforms or ideologies. Very often those reforms have repressed the actual history, removed it entirely or manipulated it – to the point that most South Africans have very little knowledge of their own military history or at best view it through very tinted and tainted political glasses – usually along racial lines.

I hope to open South African eyes and challenge those perceptions through the promotion of the truth and highlight the great and noble deeds undertaken by those South Africans who have sacrificed and served the country with pride – of all colours and creeds, from all sides of the political spectrum.

Along the way I hope to uncover the “hidden history” and bring to light that which was expressly omitted from the educational curriculums in South Africa, or at best redress the history that has (and still is) been moulded by propaganda and the deliberate changing of the historical narrative to suite the government of the day’s political agenda and outlook.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Default Re: South African contemporary military history

My great grandfather was one of a few men who gave Fritz Duquesne the money to sabotage Kitchener's ship.

Serious though: the blog will make for interesting reading.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Been following them for some time. A wealth of military history.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    A wealth of military history.
    It is for this reason I posted it here.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I also follow The Observation Post. Lots of good SA Military history there too.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

It is with the owners permission that it is here.
    Peter Dickens

Biography

Peter Dickens works closely in South African military veterans affairs, he is the President of the South African Legion of Military Veterans – England Branch and he is also the Chairman of the Royal British Legion – South African Branch.

In terms of military experience, Peter served in the South African Army as an Operations Officer, a Convoy Commander and finally as a SSO3 in 15RCD – Gauteng Command, he holds the rank of Captain.

Peter has a B Soc Sc from Rhodes University in South Africa majoring in Economic History and Economics and a H Dip Marketing from the University of South Africa. He has three broad passions – underwater wreck diving, flying light aircraft and military history.