Thread: reloading?

Default reloading?

I am interested to find out whether reloading is worth it. I have purchased a Glock 19 - 9mm and intend to do a lot of range shooting. Is reloading cost effective (including the cost of the dies etc)? Also, I read somewhere about the "glock bulge"....can brass used in a Glock 19 be re-used?

User

Default Re: reloading?

Ignore the info you find on the web with regards to the "Glock Bulge", Glock Smile", so called "unsupported chamber". It's all BS.

Brass from a Glock can be reloaded multiple times.

From my own tests, a new once-fired case can be reloaded anywhere from 7 to 16 times, depending on charge and manufacturer.
    Reloading will NEVER save you money, but it will dramatically increase the amount of rounds you can fire during a range session.
    The sooner you begin reloading, the more rounds you can fire with the same amount of money.

A new factory 9mmP round is about R4-50 to R5 per round.
    Reloading using Frontier CMJ's will cost you about R1-70 (excluding brass)

Casting your own bullet will reduce this cost ever further, but few people does it anymore. I do. Cost per 9mmP round is about 70c

Awesome. Thanks. everything I read about reloading said you shoot more for the same money, which is a saving. So a good idea then.

I don't think bullet casting is meant for newbies. Older shooters not that much into it either.

For best results for newcomers, stick with CMJ bullets. Lead is just more awkward to work with.

On rifle calibers make sure u follow all the case prep steps. On handguns u can take shortcuts if u not shoot matches with the ammo.

Clean your brass before u reload.

Powder measurement is key. Electronic scale is the next key item.

Follow the data n Somchem manual. Do it exceed max load. So not colour outside the lines. This is make or break here. If u mess this up u could damage yourself and your hardware.

Banned

It pays in the longer run. A reloading setup can cost anything from R2500 if you buy secondhand and cheap over some time or R25 000 for a Dillon. Reckon with R4500-R6000. Of you save R2/shot you will have saved for a machine in 2000-3000 shots.

[QUOTE=Andre in Alberton;1252056]

For best results for newcomers, stick with CMJ bullets. Lead is just more awkward to work with.

QUOTE] I also only use CMJ. Reloading at R2,45 a round compared to factory at R8 a round (45ACP)
    What changed with lead though? is the process not exactly the same?

User

[QUOTE=TheDecalDoctor;1252092]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post

QUOTE] I also only use CMJ. Reloading at R2,45 a round compared to factory at R8 a round (45ACP)
    What changed with lead though? is the process not exactly the same?
    Uncoated lead can deform in dies if you're rough, it's leads up your barrel over time etc. Coated lead can reduce most of that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Slivvtheshiv View Post
    I am interested to find out whether reloading is worth it. I have purchased a Glock 19 - 9mm and intend to do a lot of range shooting. Is reloading cost effective (including the cost of the dies etc)? Also, I read somewhere about the "glock bulge"....can brass used in a Glock 19 be re-used?
    Re: reloading?

Ignore the info you find on the web with regards to the "Glock Bulge", Glock Smile", so called "unsupported chamber". It's all BS.

Brass from a Glock can be reloaded multiple times.

From my own tests, a new once-fired case can be reloaded anywhere from 7 to 16 times, depending on charge and manufacturer.
    Reloading will NEVER save you money, but it will dramatically increase the amount of rounds you can fire during a range session.
    The sooner you begin reloading, the more rounds you can fire with the same amount of money.

A new factory 9mmP round is about R4-50 to R5 per round.
    Reloading using Frontier CMJ's will cost you about R1-70 (excluding brass)

Casting your own bullet will reduce this cost ever further, but few people does it anymore. I do. Cost per 9mmP round is about 70c

MIC

Slivvtheshiv,

I've had the same experience as MIC. No one saves money reloading-you will just shoot more! I got started reloading in 1974 in High School and still do it today. I reload shotgun shells and centerfire (Pistols and Rifles) and although I've have not saved any money, it is a great hobby. One of the great lies told here in America is that one can save money reloading, this lie gets told annually to wives, Mommas, Dads, Santa Claus (Father Christmas) and the Easter Bunny.

Sportster

Just to add to the "Glock bulge" non-issue ... I've reloaded some 40S&W cases over 20 times with a 150PF load in a G23 gen 2 with zero issues. In my experience the cases will crack long before the case web gives in.

Obviously you need to be viligant and check your cases.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people