Default Advise on mag pouches please.

I recently stumbled across Army Ant gear and it seems as if it is good quality however it is half a Kydex mould of the gun fitted to a leather backing and that too goes for all their magazine pouches and holsters no matter if it is iwb or owb carry.

My question is will this type holster which to me seems more condusive to iwb and aiwb carry be effective or any good for sport shooting keeping in mind the gun is holstered and re-holstered way way more than if it were for edc where comfort and much less drawing and friction occurs?

Should I rather just look at a complete Kydex Holster and magazine holster like a comp-tac in stead of looking at these Army Ant holsters which look super comfy now but how will they look like if used very often for competitions like ipsc and idpa.

Your expert views please.

OH Yes!!!Please advise if I should get all single mag pouches for competition and also for carrying or will double suffice or should there be a combination of both with the emphasis on Sport Shooting.
    Thanks

User

Default Re: Advise on mag pouches please.

Whats good for sport shooting isn’t necessarily good for EDC

You will end up with a drawer of holsters/pouches

Banned

If they didn't work they would not have had the good name or the success

However - my late dad used to say "oor mooi en lekker stry mens nie". You would need to find what works best for your purpose and taste.

Most probably you would have different setups for sport shooting and edc, except if your sport discipline utilises edc gear only.

The amount of mags carried will be determined buy your needs and possibilities as well - dressing in corporate clothing does not easily for two spare mags whereas two spare mags are the bare minimum for sport shooting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I recently stumbled across Army Ant gear...
    Stumble past and get something else. A friend of mine bought Army Ant stuff despite being advised not to waste his money. It looks comfy because of all the nice padding etc. but it is poor quality crap.

If you are looking for a concealed carry IWB holster you have many other options. But make sure you get a holster that will allow you to tuck your shirt in if you are serious about concealment. For Appendix carry Daniels Holsters make a simple and affordable kydex holster. I'm wearing one now with a G19, in a "gun free" building. I have been doing so for a little over a year now. They conceal well.
    For behind the hip carry a Comp-Tac Hybrid (like the Minotaur) is one of the very best. (But get the one that is "tuck-able")

For most sport especially something like IDPA, Daniels Holsters or Geoff Carter has something in kydex that will work well for sport (IDPA and IPSC production), and for carry under a jacket. A good kydex OWB holster works well for concealed carry under a jacket and will not slow you down in either IDPA or IPSC production.

For serious IPSC sport shooting Rescomp has what you need but you will only ever use it on the range.

Get single mag pouches (Daniels / Geoff Carter or Comp-Tac) With single pouches you can space them so that you can get a proper grip on individual mags during a reload. Double pouches will cause one of the mags to pinch you or interfere with getting the other mag out during a fast reload. I have a bucket full of old double mag pouches you can have for free if you don't believe me.

Banned

If you shoot a Glock have a look at the Glock mag pouches. https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/3365...mP_and_40.html