Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Maverick 88 Tube Extension mods ?

Good day guys

I tried the search function, but could not find much on the topic.

The 5 shot tube on the gun is a limit, and I would like to have a longer tube on the gun, for at least 8 or 9. Now the thing is, as most would know, the way the standard tube attaches to the barrel restricts adding an extension.

Has any of you self or know of a gunsmith that has succesfully modified the barrel attachment to be able to add a tube extension on these guns ?

User

Default Re: Maverick 88 Tube Extension mods ?

When i had mine i inquired about doing it. Seemed like a whole lot more work and would have cost more than what i paid for for the gun itself. Not worth pursuing imho.

User

Where are you from?

User

There are several ways of extending the mag tube on a Mosberg 500/Maverick88 shotty. (They are the same thing, with just the safety lever being different.):

1. Remove the lug from barrel and attach it further forward, and replace or extend mag tube. This will be a costly exercise.

2. Replace barrel and mag tube with longer versions. New license needed off course.

3. Sell the shotgun and buy one with a longer mag. This is likely the cheapest option.

Personally, I would not mind a 5-shot Maverick with the barrel shortened to just in front of the lug and sight re-installed. Would be quite handy in confined spaces such as a vehicle.

User

To add some info I forgot to add to my OP. I inherited the gun, and when I got it, it had only ever fired 2 shots. So brand new gun for free basically. I am based in Pta.

I get that it might cost a few bucks, but seeing as I did not pay for it, I can spend a bit on it, but obviously wont make sense to spend more than what its really worth...I have looked at the barrel replacement option, but going through all that trouble I would rather just buy another gun.

The main goal in mind for the gun is just as a "smile generator", IPSC clubshoots and the odd plinking, nothing too serious, so if I do reach a dead end with the tube extension its not the end of the world for me. More of a nice to have really.

Current plan is to replace the standard tube with a longer tube from the Mossberg, available from Brownells, and to have the lug moved on the barrel ?

Another idea is to just have the stock tube threaded to accomodate an extension, and have the barrel lug modified to accept the extension ?

User

It's not worth it. Father in law also has one and while it's a great shotgun, it's modding options are very limited. Shoot it like it is, IMO.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Glocked View Post
    To add some info I forgot to add to my OP. I inherited the gun, and when I got it, it had only ever fired 2 shots. So brand new gun for free basically. I am based in Pta.

I get that it might cost a few bucks, but seeing as I did not pay for it, I can spend a bit on it, but obviously wont make sense to spend more than what its really worth...I have looked at the barrel replacement option, but going through all that trouble I would rather just buy another gun.

The main goal in mind for the gun is just as a "smile generator", IPSC clubshoots and the odd plinking, nothing too serious, so if I do reach a dead end with the tube extension its not the end of the world for me. More of a nice to have really.

Current plan is to replace the standard tube with a longer tube from the Mossberg, available from Brownells, and to have the lug moved on the barrel ?

Another idea is to just have the stock tube threaded to accomodate an extension, and have the barrel lug modified to accept the extension ?

Keenly following in any work arounds of this as I have just bought a M500 5+1 capacity.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Makooza6 View Post
    Keenly following in any work arounds of this as I have just bought a M500 5+1 capacity.
    Mossberg 500 is not the same as the Maverick M88, and as far as I know you get standard extension tubes for it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Mossberg 500 is not the same as the Maverick M88, and as far as I know you get standard extension tubes for it.
    Correct.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Check A-R's post or you could possibly point
    me in the right direction of one of those available locally ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast