Default Pump vs Cylinder

Hi Guys,

My FIL has a PCP rifle (please don't ask me specifics, can't remember...).

He has already bought a manual pump, but he feels it's too much effort. He now wants to either buy an electrical pump or a cylinder.

What will be the best in the long run?

Thanks
    Thysie

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Pump vs Cylinder

Hi Thysie

The drawback of a scuba diving cylinder is that it has to be visually inspected (internally with a borescope) each year and hydro tested each fifth year. Dive shops check if this has been done each time before they fill the cylinder.

Spectre

Thysie. If your in CPT area. Filling a Cylinder is very cheap. Even the yearly Visual they have to do.
    Executive Safety is according to me the cheapest and best place to have this done.
    As they can also fill to 300bar. Last time a Visual and fill was around R70.
    I had my 10L 300bar Hydro tested and filled to 300 bar in January. And it was 150 or 180

If your going to buy a Cylinder. Make sure you go for steel.
    And at least 232 bar. You do get some rated to only 200bar.
    The nicest is to get 300bar. Then it takes a fair time to empty it.
    The 6L 300bar is very handy for transport. You do get a 10L 300bar as well.

Unless you shoot alot a filled cylinder will last very long.

Ive seen on think pelletgun.co.za they sell electric machine around +R6000.

But honestly I would rather take a cylinder which you can take with on a shooting expedition.

Another thing with pumps manual or electric. Is that it has to be very good at removing moisture out of air you put in PCP. Otherwise you will have huge issues.

With a Cylinder you wont have moisture issues as the filling places have this sorted and controlled.

User

Cylinder is a good option, unless you live in a rural area. Then a pump is fantastic

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Thysie. If your in CPT area. Filling a Cylinder is very cheap. Even the yearly Visual they have to do.
    Executive Safety is according to me the cheapest and best place to have this done.
    As they can also fill to 300bar. Last time a Visual and fill was around R70.
    I had my 10L 300bar Hydro tested and filled to 300 bar in January. And it was 150 or 180

If your going to buy a Cylinder. Make sure you go for steel.
    And at least 232 bar. You do get some rated to only 200bar.
    The nicest is to get 300bar. Then it takes a fair time to empty it.
    The 6L 300bar is very handy for transport. You do get a 10L 300bar as well.

Unless you shoot alot a filled cylinder will last very long.

Ive seen on think pelletgun.co.za they sell electric machine around +R6000.

But honestly I would rather take a cylinder which you can take with on a shooting expedition.
    I agree 100% with shooty. Cylinders are easy to fill and use. Inspection and Hydo testing is very cheap and simple, even in Gauteng. I bought a 1m extension off Aliexpress which allowed me to shoot directly off the cylinder when shooting at a bench. This ensured that you had a constant pressure for the entire session. You also didn't have to recharge the rifle every 30-40 shots.

Thanks guys, I see you get a carbon fibre 300bar tank that does not need inspections and is guaranteed for 15 years. Anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

They are lighter. They also need visual and Hydro test. Bottle might say does not need.
    Guys filling will not fill unless checked. 15 years is the life on those.
    At 15 years Carbon fibre no one will fill. They will drill a nice hole in it for you at 15 years.